Twenty Two - Charlie

Ch22 - Charlie

After work, Charlie pulled his work truck into the long driveway leading to Talia's house. He wasn't sure why, but he had wanted to bring her a little something to celebrate her move.

Of course you know why you're doing this. He sighed. You've never given anyone a housewarming present before!

He wanted to see her again. Getting to know Talia a little more over the past week had been very enjoyable, however, he had to admit she was still as much as mystery to him now as she was the first day she'd arrived into town.

He had come to some conclusions of his own. Talia was definitely running from something, or someone, but it wasn't his place to pry. He figured she would open up eventually, when she was ready. Secrets always had a way of sneaking out. His mother had taught him that, and so far as he could tell, it seemed to be true.

Charlie pulled up to the attached garage and hopped out of his truck. Moving along to the backside of the vehicle, he opened the tailgate and removed a large item from the bed. He set the gift down before climbing the steps and knocking on the door.

Moments later, Talia appeared with a look of surprise on her face. He couldn't stop himself from staring at her soft, natural beauty. Perfect porcelain skin with round cheeks, pinkened slightly from the Florida sun. Breathtaking blue eyes, and shoulder length, chestnut hair pulled back into a messy pony tail. He couldn't remember the last time he had seen anyone look so pretty, without even trying.

Emily.

Ashamed, he turned his head and looked away as Talia opened the screen door.

"Charlie!" Talia exclaimed, breathlessly. "I wasn't expecting you. I was just putting some things away," she explained.

He glanced back at her and thought he noticed her cheeks brighten with embarrassment. Or was that pleasure?

"Hi, Talia." He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry for stopping by uninvited. I just wanted to make sure you were settling in okay. How's the move coming along?"

She smiled and walked out onto the front porch. "Great, thank you. I didn't have very much to bring over," she admitted sheepishly. "I'm just trying to get a feel for things and organize accordingly."

Charlie watched as she twisted a stray strand of hair behind her ear, nervously. Did he make her nervous?

He cleared his throat again. "I, um, brought you a little house warming gift," he said, suddenly feeling like an idiot. He walked down the steps and lifted the item, carefully laying it on top of the porch.

Talia let out a small gasp. "A porch swing! Charlie - it's perfect. I was hoping you would allow me to get one," she exclaimed. "But you didn't have to do this. Really. You've already done so much." A look of uncertainly covered her pretty face.

"It's no big deal," he said, trying to shrug it off, nonchalantly. "It would make a nice addition to the front of the house and I thought you might enjoy it. I've actually been meaning to get one," he lied.

"Oh, I know I'll enjoy it! Thank you so much," she said, blushing again. "And thank you for the bike. Your mom said that it had been your idea."

Now, it was his turn to flush. Quickly, he looked down, pretending to tinker with the swing. "It was nothing. That bike's been sitting in her garage, collecting dust for years. How about I put the swing up for you?" he asked, changing the subject.

Nodding her head, Talia replied, "That would be great, Charlie.Thank you." He thought he heard a small tremor in her voice. "Can I get you a beer?" she asked timidly. "I was going to get one for myself just before you arrived."