Forty Five - Talia

Ch45 - Talia

Talia was waiting on the front porch swing when Charlie pulled his truck up to the house. She smiled as he hopped out of the driver's seat and made his way toward her, a bouquet of daisies in his hand.

"For you," he said with a slow grin, offering her the colorful blooms. The petals tickled her nose as she took in their soft scent.

"More flowers?" she exclaimed. "Charlie, they're beautiful! Let me put them in water."

Talia noticed a look of confusion sweep across Charlie's features as she led him through the house and into the kitchen.

"With everything going on I almost forgot to thank you for the flowers you had delivered to The Ivy House. It was such a nice surprise, I really wasn't expecting it—thank you." Pulling out an antique crystal vase from the cabinet, she turned and gave him a grateful smile.

"I'm embarrassed to say this," Charlie replied with a sheepish grin, "but I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"The Forget-Me-Nots. Didn't you send them to me?"

Charlie shook his head, "I'm afraid not."

Talia's brows creased with bewilderment. "That's strange. They came addressed to me with no signature. Your mom and I just assumed they were from you, as a thank you for watching Winston."

"Sorry, but I can't take credit for that. Maybe it was the Florida welcoming committee?" he teased. "Small towns can be very hospitable." She was going to respond but found herself lost in his warm gaze. Charlie had the nicest eyes she had ever seen, so kind and charming the way they crinkled slightly at the corners when he smiled at her. All thoughts of the mysterious flowers were long forgotten as she studied the curves of his face and the attractive scattering of day-old stubble.

"Are you hungry?" he asked, interrupting her reverie.

"I am," Talia said slowly as her cheeks grew warm with anticipation. "Where would you like to go?"

Charlie grinned. "It's a surprise," he said, reaching his hand toward hers. She stared at it for a moment before intertwining her fingers around his. The feel of his skin sent a wave of electricity through her and she felt her stomach flip flop. Talia couldn't help but notice how at ease Charlie seemed. He had come home from what she assumed would be a stressful trip to Atlanta only to discover that his dog was very sick, and still he appeared to be in high spirits.

"Forgive me for not asking sooner, but how is Emily's father?" Talia asked, softly.

"He's good. He's going to make a full recovery."

"That's wonderful news! I take it you had a good trip then?"

Charlie looked thoughtful before answering her. "I really did. I hadn't realized it until I was there, but I needed to go back to Atlanta. I tied up some ends that have been loose for much too long." He looked off into the distance and smiled peacefully. She wasn't sure what had happened to him while he was away, but it was obvious something had changed. She wondered if it had something to do with Emily. Perhaps going back to where they had lived together gave him the sense of closure he needed?

I know all too well how the past can weigh you down. Maybe facing your nightmares instead of running from them is what a person needs to do before they can move on?

Of course, that applied to everyone but her. There was no way she could confront her demons. It was too dangerous, and there was so much at stake.

Charlie gave her a small smile and she felt her heart soar. He was such a good and amazing person. Talia found herself trusting him more and more every day, even though several months ago trusting another man seemed impossible.