Eighteen - Ms. Wilson

Ch18 - Ms. Wilson

Enid Wilson was just starting to prepare dinner when she heard Charlie's motorcycle pull into the back driveway. She glanced out the window and noticed, to her great surprise, he was not alone. Talia was with him. Charlie opened up the back door and walked into the kitchen, Talia following close behind. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the bandages covering Talia's arms and legs.

"Oh my goodness! What in Heaven's name happened to you?" she asked, rushing to Talia's side.

"It's okay. I'm fine," Talia answered quickly. Maybe a little too quickly.

She looked at her son with wide eyes. "Do you care to explain what happened, Mister?" Ms. Wilson had never liked that motorcycle of his. She was certain nothing good would come of it.

Charlie heaved a sigh and hid a small smile, obviously used to his mother's worrisome ways. "I took Talia over to the rental property," he began, "She's decided to move in, by the way." Ms. Wilson sensed he was trying to distract her from the situation at hand.

"That's great," she said, patting Talia's bruised arm gently. "Now, kindly tell me what happened to this poor girl."

Charlie relayed the story about giving Talia the tour of the rental property and the incident that took place down at the dock. "But as you can see," he continued, "She's fine. I even offered to take her to the hospital for a check up, but she declined."

Ms. Wilson turned a raised eyebrow over toward Talia, "Are you sure, dear? Maybe you should go get checked out - just to be safe."

"No, I'm fine. Thank you. Charlie did a wonderful job patching me up."

Ms. Wilson smiled as she looked back and forth between Talia and Charlie. This unexpected exchange had taken her by surprise, but she couldn't deny that she was pleased. Talia was a beautiful girl. A little mysterious, maybe. But mysterious didn't have to mean bad. And Charlie appeared to be somewhat smitten. Okay, maybe smitten was a strong word, but at the very least he was intrigued. She recognized the appreciative look in his eyes and noticed the way he watched the young woman. Sure, he had practically broken her, but Talia didn't seem too terribly upset. Perhaps she was intrigued, as well? Oh, she had not seen this coming!

"Well, I'm very glad that everything turned out. Are you certain we can't take you to see a doctor, Talia...?" her voiced trailed off with uncertainty.

"I'm positive. Really. I promise - if I notice any signs of infection, I'll head straight to the closest hospital," Talia said, crossing her heart with her finger.

Ms. Wilson regarded Talia skeptically, but let the subject drop. "Are you staying for dinner tonight?" she asked, turning toward her handsome son.

"Sure, Mom. That would be great."

Ms. Wilson beamed and nodded her head in approval.

"Talia, dear, would you maybe be more comfortable changing into something that fit?"

Ms. Wilson watched Talia blush before excusing herself. She felt guilty putting the poor girl on the spot like that, but she had wanted an opportunity to speak with her son in private.

"So, she's going to rent your place then?" she asked after Talia left the room.

"Yep, crocodiles and all."

She gave her son a frown, "You watch out for her, Charlie. She seems a little fragile to me. I want to make sure she is okay. I get the feeling she doesn't have much family around."

"Well, she did mention that her mom lives in Michigan," Charlie responded.

So, Talia had opened up to him a little bit. Very good. Ms. Wilson looked out the window, thoughtfully.

"Awww, come on, Mom. Don't go looking for a mystery! Just let it be. She seems like a nice girl. Maybe a little quiet, is all."

She turned toward him with raised eyebrows. "You really think she seems nice?" she asked eagerly. "Because - I wanted to talk to you about something."

"I'm listening..."

"Well, Talia mentioned earlier today that she needed to find a job, and now that she's committed to renting out your place, I guess she's going to have to. Anyway... " she continued, "I was thinking of offering her employment here at The Ivy House. I just wanted your opinion of her before I mentioned it."

Charlie looked pleasantly surprised. He had been after his mother for years to find some help. It was no secret she was beginning to slow down a little, but he would never tell her that in so many words.

"I think she seems like a decent person," he said slowly. "Of course, I'm not at all familiar with her employment history, but I don't get the feeling she's a criminal."

Ms. Wilson's smile spread across her face, "I was hoping you'd say that! I'll have a little talk with her later and see what she thinks," she enthused, clapping her hands together in delight.

She reached over and gave her son a tight hug, "Have I told you lately how happy I am that you're back here in Florida?"

"Not in the last twenty-four hours or so," he responded sarcastically, allowing himself to be swallowed into her maternal embrace.

She gave him a little laugh. "Well, I am. I'm eternally grateful to have you home!"

"Me, too," he said, pulling back after a moment and smiling at her warmly.

Charlie was home in Florida where he belonged, and now Talia had entered their lives. There might just be hope for all three of them yet.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hey there, readers! Thanks for joining me for another chapter of The Secret! If you liked what you read, I ask that you kindly leave me a vote or comment and let me know what you think of the story so far! I'm dying to hear your thoughts about Talia possibly working at The Ivy House! Do you think it's a good idea?

Please join me this Tuesday for another Double Chapter Day, featuring Talia and the despicable Steven! And thank you again for your continued support!