Eleven - Sarah

Ch11 - Sarah 

Sarah raced from the burning house, out the back door and through the wooded area situated behind the home she had shared with her husband of three years.

The early morning sky was still dark, making it difficult to see, and a tiny penlight was tucked away in her pocket in case she needed it. She hoped she wouldn't; she didn't want to take the chance of drawing unwanted attention.

Her tennis shoes beat rhythmically against the leaf-covered ground, and she wondered how long it would take for her to reach the other side of the woods. She'd estimated the lush forest to be at least four miles deep, and even though she had been running in secret  while Steven spent his days at work, she hadn't been impressed by her progress. She ran about a 12 minute mile, give or take, not exactly the ideal speed for someone running for their life.

She pulled her black hoodie tighter around her face. It wouldn't do to look too haggard when she arrived at the bus station. She didn't need to draw attention to herself or raise any suspicion. It would be difficult enough to fake a calm demeanor.

Sarah was glad she'd decided to purchase the black yoga pants to wear for her trip, she hadn't realized how thick the woods would become the deeper she ran into them. Slowing down just a tad, she checked her pocket compass, an antique once belonging to her father. She needed to head SW if she was to end up at her desired location.

Veering off to the left, she picked up her pace. The morning bus to Montana left at 6:25 am, not leaving her much time for mistakes. It was just as well, she needed to leave Washington as soon as possible, before anyone realized she hadn't been inside of the burning home - if they ever did realize it. It was her prayer that everyone would believe she had perished in the blaze.

Her mind drifted to thoughts of Steven. How long it would take before he would be contacted about the fire? Did he already know? Would he be sad that she had died? She imagined he would be somewhat distraught by the loss. He had always seemed to enjoy kicking her around.

Sarah's stomach lunged to her toes as attempted to run even faster through the darkened woods. Looking up beyond the leaves of the trees, she could sense that the morning sky was starting to brighten, awaiting the sunshine upon the horizon. How much longer would it take her? She felt out of breath, but pushed herself harder.

Twenty minutes later, she saw a clearing up ahead. She knew the woods would release her not far from the bus station. Retrieving a comb from her bag, she removed her hood and ran the teeth through her short brown hair. It really was a miracle that everything she needed to escape was in close proximity. If she didn't know better, she would almost believe that luck was on her side. But Sarah didn't believe in superstition. She knew you had to make your own luck. That was her new motto, and a smart motto it was.

If she wanted a fresh start, she would have to do it on her own; that much she knew. Never again would she allow herself to rely on anyone to take care of her. When you felt like you needed someone, you were likely to lose your sense of self, adapting to the other person's standards. She wouldn't fall into that trap again.

Carefully, she exited the woods behind some conveniently placed buildings. It gave her a minute to get her bearings and figure out where she was, and where she needed to go. To her delight, she realized she was closer to the terminal than she thought she would be.

Loosening her hood, she retrieved a pair of wire rimmed glasses from her backpack. That completed her transformation. She quickened her pace and made her way to the station with a few extra minutes to spare. She bought a one way ticket to Helena, Montana and settled into a stiff lobby chair where she waited to board the bus.

There was a small group of people scattered across the terminal, each busy with their own agenda. Some had their faces buried in a book, while others worked quietly on their tablets or smart phones.

Her attention was grabbed by the small flat screen situated on the wall. The Seattle news was broadcasting a house fire in a posh nearby suburb. Sarah's heart quickened.

"Fire crews from several different stations are responding to a four alarm residential fire this morning. The blaze, which started around 5:30 am, quickly spread to a neighboring house. There is no word yet if anyone was inside either residence."

Sarah looked away in devastation. She hadn't even imagined the fire would spread!

Tears welled in her eyes as she feverishly prayed that her neighbors had made it out in time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! As always, thank you for your reads, votes and comments - I love to hear what you think!

This chapter is dedicated to the absolutely hilarious @clarady! She's the author of Excruciatingly Correct Behavior - A Guide to Wattpad Etiquette. You need to check it out - you'll laugh your bum off! Plus, follow her advice - she is very wise. ;)