Twenty Eight - Talia

Ch28 - Talia

"Are you Sarah Carter?" the police officer confirmed from the front porch of her best friend's split-level home. She had spent the night there the previous evening, as she did frequently on the weekends, and they were just about to cook out on the grill for lunch.

"Yes, I am," Sarah swallowed nervously. She sensed the man was not bringing her good news. Why else would he be there, searching for her at her friend's house?

Looking behind her, she saw Jacquelyn and Jacquelyn's parents hovering protectively in the background. She turned back toward the cop, waiting for him to speak. "My name is Officer Wozniak. I'm afraid I have some very upsetting news," he continued.

Intuitively, she knew that whatever it was he was about to say would somehow change her life. Sarah felt her nervous system go into overdrive, reacting to the stress she felt waiting for him to continue. How ironic, they had just been studying the bodies physiological reaction to a perceived harmful event in her high school anatomy class. What was it called? The "Fight or Flight Response"? Why was she thinking about that now...?

"Your neighbor mentioned you might be here," the officer stalled uncomfortably, averting his eyes. "There's been a home invasion at your residence."

He paused, as if to allow what he'd said to sink in.

"The police department received an emergency phone call early this morning. Someone in the neighborhood had seen a strange man leaving your house rather suspiciously. They said they had never seen this individual before and that he looked unsettled, like something wasn't right," the cop went on, looking troubled. "By the time the officer's arrived on the scene to check it out, the man was gone and two bodies were discovered inside. One of a man and one of a woman. I understand you have no other living relatives. As the next of kin, I'm afraid I'll need you to come with me to identify them."

* * * * * * * * * *

Talia sat up in bed with a start, sweat beading her brow. She hadn't dreamt of her parents in quite some time, but the memories easily flooded back to her. Frustrated, she wiped the tears from her eyes.

More nightmares! As if she didn't have enough already.

Talia looked around her comfortable bedroom and realized in dismay she would need to get up to shake off the uneasy feeling that enveloped her. Settling on a glass of milk, she made her way into the darkened kitchen to get to work. Sometimes, warm milk helped ease her mind in the middle of the night, when the dreams prevented her from rest.

She flipped on an overhead light and pulled the milk from the fridge, pouring a glass to put in the microwave. After it was finished heating, she held the mug between her hands, enjoying the soothing sensation of warmth.

What had made her dream of her parents now? She thought she had finally put the tragedy behind her, or at the very least, come to terms with it.  It had taken a long time for her to move forward from what had happened, but eventually she had managed to come out of hiding. She'd had no other choice. Having recently turned eighteen at the time of the murders, Talia was old enough to live on her own. She stayed with Jacqueline's family until she graduated from high school and then began college at the local university, supporting herself with the Social Security she received along with a waitress job she had managed to juggle in between classes.

The news of her parents murder had lingered in the local paper and across news channels for weeks, until finally the man had been found. He had been a drug addict, desperate for his next fix and too broke to afford it. When he left her house that morning, he had made out with thirty dollars from her father's wallet and her mother's wedding ring, which the police were never able to recover.

Talia shook her head and sighed. Every time she dreamt of their passing, she would feel ill at ease for days. She didn't need this right now, not with a new job and life in the making. How was she supposed to function with all of these stressors hanging over her head?

Swallowing hard, she let the past creep into the present. Talia's thoughts lingered uneasily on her parents. She could almost hear her father's infectious laughter, and could practically feel the way her mother's soft blonde waves brushed against her cheek during a frequent embrace. She had loved them both so much! The three of them had shared a special bond - even as a teenager she couldn't get enough of them. She'd always assumed their closeness was because she was an only child. Not many teenagers worshiped their parents, but she had. They'd meant the world to her.

Why is life so unfair?

There had been a couple of times, during Talia's darkest moments, that she had thought of ending it all with the hope of reuniting with her parents. But she was unable to follow through. Her beliefs, and knowing that her parents would be disappointed in her, kept her trudging forward even when she didn't feel as though she could. Somehow, she'd always managed. Had her mom and dad somehow given her the strength to carry on? Were they able to watch over her from wherever they were?

What do they think of me now? she wondered. Are they proud of the decisions I have made, or are they disappointed...?

She liked to think that they were happy for her. There had been no other way to escape her old life, Steven would have never granted her a divorce. The one time she had alluded to it had nearly killed her.

Swallowing the last of the warm milk, she set the glass down and glanced at the clock on the kitchen wall. 5:05 am. There really was no point in going back to bed now, not when she needed to be to work by 7:00. Talia rubbed her tired eyes and ran her hands through tangled hair. It was still a shock to feel how short it was, she couldn't remember the last time it had been that length! She had cut it once while she'd been with Steven, but had learned quickly that he disapproved. Always long and always worn down. That's the way he liked it. Talia vowed to never again let it get past her shoulders.

Hopping into the shower, she let the warm water cascade over her, relaxing her tense muscles. Talia let her mind wander back to her parents. Would they approve of her new life? Would they like Charlie and Mrs. Wilson? In her heart, she knew they would. They'd always appreciated down-to-earth people, as they were laid back themselves when they had been alive.

Talia felt the sting of hot tears fill her eyes. She still didn't understand why she had to lose her parents, and in such a horrific way. She dropped to her knees and began to sob, letting the water flow over her body. It had been so long since she had let herself feel this kind of emotion, and it felt like a release.

She let herself cry until the water ran cold.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A little bit more about Sarah/Talia's past here, and it's a very sad one. It may explain a few things, like how she ended up with Steven, or why she remained with him even after he became abusive. She had admitted before how alone and lost she had felt at the time, and now you know why.

If you liked this chapter, I ask that you please consider voting/commenting. Thank you so much for reading The Secret! I update every Tuesday and Friday!

This chapter is dedicated to reader and writer @thushaniyasmin. Thank you so much for your unending support of my story!!!