chapter: 35

Max was surprised; Anna's phone had been going off all day. For someone who is so conservative, she is really something.

At first, he wanted to ignore it, but it kept buzzing, so he picked it up. It was another birthday message in advance. She did not intimate him about it. He decided to surprise her, to show her how much she means to him.

He went through her phone and saw a number saved as "bestie." Well, well, he thought, if she was really Anna's best friend, she would know everything about her.

He called the number, and a soft feminine voice picked up at the third ring. He told her who he was. When he asked her not to tell Anna that he called, her voice turned cold.

"Why wouldn't I?" she retorted immediately.

"Because I have a surprise planned for her," he answered simply. His voice was full of promise. "Tomorrow is her birthday." Oh my gosh! Emma was clearly flustered.

"I totally forgot. I didn't know myself," Max continued. "I just found out today." At that, Emma agreed to meet him.

Max called an event planner. Emma gave him the necessary assistance. He got her office decorated for the event. A very huge gigantic cake was ordered. The theme was powder blue and gold. Everything turned out perfect.

Emma loved it and swore that Anna would too. Max couldn't sleep that night. He kept tossing until the alarm woke him by exactly 5 am. At that same time, Emma woke up and began putting clothes together for Anna. She chose a flashy red gown and a nice pair of black stiletto heels.

Then she went to wake Anna up. Anna would have none of it. Not this early in the morning. Emma was so persistent that Anna had to give up. She was mad enough to bite someone's head off.

She was still fuming when she went to bathe and do her toiletries. She was about to pick a casual dress from her wardrobe when Emma came in. "I already chose something for you to wear."

"And why would you do that?" she asked sarcastically, still smarting from the fact that she was woken up too early. Emma winced, "Well, you are going to give a press conference. You have to look your best, Anna."

Grudgingly, Anna accepted and wore the dress. She allowed Emma to do her hair. She looked like a queen; she had to admit it to herself.

She wore an emerald earring and necklace with a matching bracelet, then she was good to go. Emma was looking really sweet with her hair swept up in a chignon; she wore a simple black and white gown. They left immediately.

When she stepped into her office, it was dark, then suddenly the lights came on, and the shouts of "happy birthday" rent the air. She was so touched. Then she turned to see Max standing behind her. No wonder, she thought, trust him to put together something like this at a moment's notice.

Then he did something most astonishing, with a small case in his hand, he went down on one knee, "Anna Robert, will you be my wife?"

She stood gaping at him as the whole hall went silent. Time stood still; it was like they were the only people in the world. Only the two of them mattered.

"Yes," she answered with tears pouring down her cheeks. "Yes, Max, I will marry you." The whole hall went up in an uproar; they kissed to seal the promise. They partied all night, dancing and reveling in each other's arms. Emma was so happy for Anna; everything has worked out perfectly. She turned and looked at Henry. The saying that the race was not to the swiftest truly, nor the battle to the strongest but time and chance take care of them all.

That much was really true. Who knew that Anna would be the first to get engaged? She was still thinking it when Henry gave her a box of chocolate. She really loved chocolates. She opened it and took the first piece and then the second, then she bit into something really hard.

She brought it out, and it was the most beautiful ring Emma has ever seen.

"We have been through everything together, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes," with tears of happiness shimmering in her eyes, she screamed as she threw her weight on him in a bear hug. Henry wasn't expecting it; he fell hard on the floor. The breath was knocked out of him. Without missing a beat, Emma fell on top of him.

The whole thing was most amusing and downright awkward. Emma didn't care; she kissed him like it was their last time together. Henry may not be as rich as Max or her ring as fancy as Anna's, but she felt like the luckiest woman in the world.

Anna was clearly very happy for her friend when she noticed the suppressed excitement on her face. When they got home, she could not resist teasing Emma. Anna looked at her and coughed, "You seem so happy, and there is grass in your hair. What on earth happened?"

"He finally did it"?

"What did?" I mean, did Henry finally pop the question? Oh yes! Emma exclaimed, Henry proposed to me today. Anna screamed and threw her hands around her best friend.

She was so happy. They chatted into the night, talking about silly girlish fantasies. Wedding gowns and hairstyles were a major part of the discussion. They chatted until they gave in to exhaustion and fell asleep but before that they decided to get married on the same day.

Leila saw the news the next morning. She was a bit sad. A bittersweet smile touched her lips. She knew this time it really was over between her and Max. He has finally found the woman for him. They look so happy and contented with each other.

She went downstairs to take a shower. She took a look around; everything has been put in order but Ethan has gone.

He made her breakfast. How thoughtful of him. She finished her bath and dressed up. Then she went to her studio. It seems the shine has been taken off everything. Try as she may, she could not find the inspiration to draw anything.

After lazing away for about an hour, she got into her car and drove off. She has not gone far when she saw a good looking boutique. She decided to stop by to get something to cheer herself up.

She parked and stepped into the boutique; she ran smack into Anna. She was shocked great she thought just what I needed for a more miserable afternoon. Anna tried to keep her voice cordial but it wasn't easy for her either.

Her customers that day have been trying. They keep saying nasty things in front of her. However, when she looked at Leila she felt a pang of pity and she smiled reassuringly at her.

"Congrats on your engagement Anna," she said.

"Thanks Leila,"

"How have you been? Just okay she said." Then she turned and walked away. Anna was so sweet and innocent, much to her annoyance. Of course, the victor can afford to be magnanimous.

She is everything that she wasn't. She has really tried to ignore the fact that Anna was engaged to the man she loved, but she couldn't. Then she decided, if I make her pay a tiny