Chapter:28

Here's the edited version with corrected grammar and punctuation:

Anna

I sat up and looked around, finding myself in an unfamiliar environment. Quickly getting up, I winced at the blinding headache. Then, the events of the evening came back to me—the kiss. I felt a shiver of excitement and anticipation. I checked under the covers and found out I was wearing only a flimsy nightdress. I took off the bed cover and let my feet sink into the plush, soft carpet. The room was brown in color, and the rug was a Persian rug with a huge lion. Where the mane was, the lion became thicker.

I would have jumped in excitement at the beauty of the room with beautiful gold ornaments littered here and there, and a beautiful painting of a waterfall. I loved being here, but for the throbbing headache. The scent of freshly brewed coffee sent me running to the dining table. Okay, I wasn't totally expecting to see an angel, but seeing Max's scowling face made me stand there transfixed.

A lot of questions raced through my mind. What was I doing here? More exactly, what was Max playing at?

"Never knew I was that handsome to you, or are you planning on staring a hole in my face?" he teased. I cursed as my face colored.

I, however, decided to brave it. "How and why did we end up here, Max?" He watched me with a completely expressionless face, making me more agitated. Angry, I tried again, "You are heartless, Max. You always have been. Right, I know I'm a terrible dancer, but you being a guy is supposed to catch me, not allow me to crash to the floor. Whenever I tripped while dancing with Ethan, he would always catch me. Such a sweet gentleman; he opens car doors for me, and he would never abandon me at a party, unlike you."

Max stared at me with his mouth hanging open. "Abandon you at a party? I have never met you in my life before," he exclaimed. "And if I had, I would certainly remember you."

Anna laughed hysterically. "We attended a party a year ago, remember? That is where you met your bride-to-be."

"Oh yes, I remember," Max replied.

"You met me first, you asked me out, and then you abandoned me, and you left with her."

"Anna, please explain in detail. I don't understand. I don't really remember anything from that night. All I know is that I woke up in a hotel room beside Leila."

I moved too quickly to take a seat and faltered. Max stretched out his hand to steady me, but I couldn't stop myself from flinching. I couldn't help being rude. In a voice cold enough to freeze a lesser man, I replied, "I can find my own seat, thank you."

He threw up his hands in defeat but still pulled out a chair for me, which I sank into gratefully.

And I began my tale. It was a Saturday night; I can't remember the date exactly. We met at the party, and you kept staring. I wasn't really interested.

I was infuriated when he smirked. "As if she can resist me," he murmured under his breath. I wanted to slap it off his face. Why this bully with an overinflated ego? However, I decided to hold it in. After all, I was alone in his house and feeling far from strong, not to mention the drumming going on inside my head.

I pictured a thousand scenarios in a minute. He could rape me, or better still, kill me and dump my body into the ocean or one of the cupboards, and no one would ever know. Why, he may decide to make me drive myself over a cliff, she thought, her eyes getting bigger with terror. "Snap out of it," I chided myself. As long as she behaves, he might not kill me or do anything stupid, but then again, he may not even remember. Max got up and snapped his fingers at me.

"Are you okay?" I nearly flew up from my seat. I couldn't hide the fact that I was frightened to death.

"Anna, look at me. Look at me. You are okay. You are going to be okay." Against my will, his soft words acted as a soothing balm. "Here," he said, giving me his phone, "if I do anything at all you don't like, feel free to call 911." After that, I breathed easier.

🌹Flashback: Night of the Party (Max)🌹

Somehow, I had grown protective of this woman. After getting over the shock at the party, adrenaline kicked in, and I immediately picked Anna up.

I couldn't even think about anything, not even the reporters or my fiancee, except the woman in my arms.

I lay her gently on the back seat of my car and immediately jumped into the front seat and drove off.

I was driving above the speed limit, but luckily we weren't caught. I even called my personal doctor while on the road. Immediately I got in, I clapped twice, and the light came on, then I switched on the heater.

I carried Anna in my arms and changed her into one of my old girlfriend's nighties. I'm sure it was sexy, but I was too worried to care. I tucked her into bed. Soon, the doorbell chimed, and I checked the security monitor.

It was the doctor. I immediately opened the door. We greeted cordially, and I showed him to the room. He told me to wait outside. After running some tests, he told me she would be okay, that it was just a fall and she passed out due to shock.

I took a deep breath of relief, and the doctor wished me goodnight. I opened my mouth and answered him. I remembered mumbling something about a bill as the doctor departed.

I went back and gazed down at her. She looked so innocent and untouched with her red hair with its blond highlights spread out on the sheet. I ran my fingers through her jaw, then sat down beside her sleeping form. I stayed with her until I was really sleepy, then I went to my room and slept off.