Chapter 11

7  M O N T H S  E A R L I E R

"You guys didn't have to spend the night." Evan is still a little unsettled after having his drink messed with at the party, yet he tries to not let it show as they reach the school.

"We wanted to, Ev, we had to make sure you're okay." Craig smiled at him, placing a hand comfortingly on his shoulder. Meanwhile, Tyler notices someone coming towards them.

"Evan!" Jonathan is out of breath as he reaches the group of friends, who had stopped in their tracks. "I've been looking for you, come on!" He grabs the teen's wrist, now dragging him off somewhere else so fast that he barely has time to say bye to his friends.

"I'll see you guys later!" He calls over his shoulder, noticing that the boy was pulling him closer and closer to his own group of friends. "Jonathan what the hell are you-"

"You're meeting my friends so they don't give you dirty looks every time they see you in the hallway. No flirting and be nice." Jonathan cuts him off, and he suddenly finds himself pulling away.

"Nope, not doing this, let go." Evan tries to tug his arm out of his English partner's grip.

"Ev, why not? They want to meet you." Evan's heart rate quickened as he heard the nickname come from the boy.

"Fine, lets go." Evan found himself actually agreeing, while his head was still trying to wrap around the nickname. He didn't even have time to get nervous. Meeting the friends was like almost as scary as meeting the parents, wasn't it? Even though the two weren't- and probably never will be- dating.

----

"What the hell is going on over there?" The guys were sat at the school's front steps that led to the entrance, their gaze stuck on where Jonathan had taken their friend to. "He just took them over to those guys."

"Maybe he's trying to get Evan a date." Marcel joked, and the whole group laughed for a few minutes before looking back at the group, finding that Evan was already walking back towards them.

----

"You're a fucking idiot." Evan mumbles to himself as he reaches his friend.

"What was that?" Tyler is smirking at the boy when he looks up at him, tilting his sunglasses down- Evan had no idea where he had gotten them, but he saw an opportunity.

"I said you look stupid with those glasses." He snaps, going all the way up the stairs and into the school.

"Get shit on!" Marcel says as the group follows behind, Tyler now sulking as he catches up to Evan.

"Whatever, Marcel. Anyways, Ev, what did he want?" He ruffled Evan's hair, earning a glare.

Evan begins to fix his hair as he answers. "He wanted to introduce me to his friends. Why? I have no clue." Quickly, he pulls out his phone to check his hair, holding the device in one hand while he adjusts the hair with the other.

"It because he loves you!" Craig teased, dragging out the word 'loves'. Evan, although he's feeling a million different emotions from that statement, just continues with his hair.

"Shut up." He says, smiling at his friend's joke, since there was no actual way that anything was going to happen between the two. Yes, there was the bet he had made with Tyler, but he didn't plan on having that go anywhere, really.

So what? At the end of the school year, he'd owe Tyler some money, nothing wrong with that. If anything, it would just sell his fuck-boy act even more, not being able to get one measly date with Jonathan, someone who wasn't very popular and stuck to his own friend groups. It was fine, he didn't really need a boyfriend to prove that he was capable of getting one.

At least, that's what he was going to tell himself.

--

Evan's whole anti self pep talk was actually working quite well. He had managed to swoon a few girls in first period, having casually thrown them a smirk as he caught them staring straight at him. While he did this, he kept telling himself that it was fine, he didn't need to prove anything to Tyler, it was a stupid bet, Tyler wouldn't expect something so cruel from him. He knew Evan, he knew that he was nice and had a great personality, he couldn't just expect the boy to hurt someone so deeply.

Seriously, heart break hurt, a lot. Movies show it, books tell it, people live it, it must hurt like hell. Cliches only exist because they happen too often.

Evan doesn't want to be a cliche, having the time of his life while in a relationship, seeing how brightly colored the world is only to have it go grayscale when it all crashes down. That's not what he wants.

But, it doesn't matter what he wants, because Tyler must be trying to prove a point to the others, if he asked Evan to do something so cruel. It just proves how much his friends don't trust him, they must think of him as heartless and robotic, capable of doing all these terrible things.

He brushes it off, though, going through the rest of the day with ease, smiling at nearly everything, concentrating when he needed to, talking when he was supposed to.

In English, Jonathan had been absent, he must have went home early since Evan had seen him that morning, so he decided that it would be a great time to start working on his individual essay.

So he sat down, put in his headphones, played some music and began to write.

------

EMOTION ESSAY: LOVE

One thing to note before I start this thing is no matter how hard you try, love is always cliche. For example, if I started this thing by saying I don't get love, it would be a cliche, because they say you don't know love unless you're in it. Boom. There's some cliche.

So since I've never been in love, or at least, I don't think I've ever been in love, so I can't use experience.

If movies, books, and folk tales aren't leaving me astray here, then I've learned at least one thing over the years, love hurts, like really hurts.

I don't know what kind of pain to compare it to, but the tragic way people talk about it sounds like it's like you get hit by a train, yet you didn't die. Your lungs feel like they're out of air, yet you're still breathing.

It's supposed to be the best feeling in the world, yet it hurts so bad, which probably makes us all psychopaths, or masochists, whichever one works.

Anyway, all long introductions aside, this is high school, if there is any place that you are going to learn about love, it's here.

So, let's tear ourselves apart, shall we?