Chapter 2: Nick

I DON'T OWN THE ARTWORK!

Oh. Hell. No. Jack is making goo-goo eyes at Carrots. I don't know why, but that really makes me mad. Judy is sweet and naïve, she probably doesn't even know he's flirting with her, or that he's bad news. He's a player, I know because I used to be one. I used to be cocky, flirtatious, a shameless scoundrel who flirted with every female I could. Ok, come to think of it, I'm still all of those things, but I'm not going to break anyone's heart. Mr. Jackson Savage on the other paw, is a literal heart breaker.

Just try to break Carrot's heart, and I'll break your muzzle, Jack Savage, I think, as I look across the room at him. He gives me a confused look.

Bogo rushes into the room, breaking my stare down with the artic playboy.

"Everybody report to Zootopia High School now! Two mammals have opened fire on the students and they are going savage!" He yells, looking more terrified than I've ever seen him.

Everyone leaps out of their chairs and heads to their designated vehicles. Carrots all but drags me to our car. There's no time to think before we're in the heat of the moment.

Officers McHorn and Trunkabee storm in ahead of the rest of us, firing tranq darts at the savage animals. Teenagers from all predatory species crash to the ground around us, subdued by the powerful tranquilizers. A savage female panther paces along the tops of a set lockers, her upper body lurches down. She's going to attack. Taking aim, I pull the trigger, sending a dart straight into her neck. Gripped by the drugs, she loses her footing and crashes to the ground.

"Ahhh!" Judy screams, seizing my attention.

A dark grey wolf has her pinned down on the ground. I'm horrified by the sight. Her legs are arched back with her feet shoved into his stomach as she tries to fend him off. His jaws snap violently, as he goes for her throat. Five feet away lays her gun.

"Carrots!" I shout, running towards her.

A tranq dart zips past my head, landing in the wolf's side. Jack whizzes by me, and slams into the wolf, knocking him off of her.

"Are you ok, darling?" He asks her. I'd like to dart him.

"Yeah, thanks." She says. He extends his paw to her, she takes it, and he pulls her up. When she bends over to retrieve her gun, I notice his eyes ogling her butt. Pervert!

"Nick!" She gasps.

Jack points his gun towards me and shoots. I shield my face with my arms as a dart flies over my head. Something hits the ground behind me with a loud thud. I turn around to see a young female polar bear laying at my feet.

Shaking off my fear and shock, I run to Judy and grab her by the shoulders. "Carrots, are you ok?" I ask, as I study her for injuries.

"Yeah, I think so." She shrugs.

"Drop your weapons and put your paws in the air!" Bogo orders.

It all seems to happen in slow motion. I look up to see two pigs clad in black at the end of the hallway. The biggest one grins wickedly, takes aim, and fires. Bogo and McHorn shoot darts into the pigs, they topple to the floor. A familiar blue pellet speed towards me, but this time, I know it's not a blueberry. Judy's right ear flops sideways, she does that when she's trying to hear something better, the pellet collides with it.

She falls to the ground, clutching her ear. "Sweet cheese and crackers!" She growls. Her breathing becomes strained and she begins clicking her teeth together. Her head snaps up, and my heart plummets into my stomach when I see her eyes. Her pupils have transformed into black slits. Oh, hell, she's gone savage.

"Carrots, it's me, Nick." I say softly, desperately appealing to her.

Savage or not, she's still Judy. She lets out brief, high pitched shrieks. Blood lust is etched into her eyes. Nervous, I take two steps backwards. You were wrong, Fluff, a bunny can go savage, I grimace.

"Fluff, it's me, your dumb fox." I plead in vain.

Leaping up, she pounces on me, knocking me to the ground. Her teeth sink into my neck. I didn't know that bunny teeth could hurt so much. Shrieking, she shakes her head side-to-side violently, it feels as if she's trying to rip out a chunk of my throat. I'm just thankful that she's a rabbit and not a predator. Jamming my fingers into her mouth, I try to pry her jaws open.

"Hey, Fluff!" Jack barks. He squats down and beckons to her. "Come here, darling." He says softly.

Oh, hell no. He did not just call my partner fluff.

She unclenches her teeth, and hops towards him. "That's my girl." He coos. She crawls closer to him, he cups her cheek with his left paw, with his right paw, he swiftly injects a tranq dart into her neck. It snatches her consciousness, and she collapses into his arms.

My heart palpitates, she went to him without hesitation. He called her his girl. She fell into his arms. He acted so naturally with her in the frenzy. Why does that make my heartache? Why do I feel like I've been betrayed.