¤ONE¤

"Lily, get down here!" My mother screeched from downstairs. I tensed almost immediately, not wanting to go. "Now!!" She added angrily.
     I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my sweater and moved downstairs and slowly towards her. Once I got there, I saw a tall man standing in the doorway. My attention went back to my mother as she slapped me across the face. I knew that if I did or said anything, I'd get into even deeper trouble. So I just waited for her stupid excuse this time, but it didn't come. Mother turned to look at the man. "She is an obedient one." The man looked furious, but I didn't move or say anything. I've seen my mother in worse situations. I've been in worse situations...
     Mother turned back to me, "Go pack your things." She hissed, throwing a duffle bag at me.
     "What?" I asked, not understanding what was going on.
     "Go. Pack. Your. Things. You'll be leaving with this man." I glared at her, but turned and marched up the stairs. I grabbed the things I needed most, along with the necklace my father gave me before he 'abandoned' the family.
     "Hurry." The man's voice said from the door. I walked past him, not being able to help my growl. He raised his eyebrows at me in surprise.
     "Just because my mom hits me, doesn't mean I'm weak. I'm the toughest girl you'll ever meet. Now lead me out, before Mother goes for one last swing." I growled in a low voice. He blinked a few times, then nodded. He led me out the front door, but before I got out Mother swung at me again. She hit the back of my head sending an instant migraine through my head. I grit my teeth, still following the man.
     The man got into the driver's seat while I got into the passenger's. "Your mother is horrid." I nodded in agreement to his statement, watching out the window as the neighborhood I once lived in disappeared. I wasn't sad. I was thankful to be leaving, but not with him. Not with this stranger of a man. "You shouldn't have had to live there."
     "What are you?" I asked, instead of responding to his comment. He opened his mouth, but I stopped him. "And don't tell me your human, because you reek of an animal." He smiled, but his eyes stayed the road.
     "I am a guardian. Tiger, like you." I stared at him and was about to ask something else, but he continued. "I'm their leader. When I heard of two rogue tigers, I came to make sure that you two weren't plotting anything, since she is on our land. But I saw how... Abusive... She was. It wasn't right. I'm bringing you back to the others."
     "She isn't my mother. My mother left when father left us. I don't know who that woman has become. And what do you mean others? There is more of us?" I turned my full attention to him. He had amber eyes and pitch black hair. He wore jeans with a white tee shirt. Maybe forty something?
     He only smiled and speed up. We drove the rest of the way in silence.

     When we were in front of a mansion he stopped, getting out. I followed, silently gasping at the beautiful structure. Before I could take in all of its beauty; out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone lunge at me, though it was too late to move. I fell to the ground, stumbling back to my feet quickly. I transformed, baring my fangs at the attacker. I was now a big, black and white, Siberian tiger. The opponent switched too, becoming a muddy-brown Bengal tiger. I snapped my jaws as a warning to him.
     'You don't know what you're getting yourself into', I growled menacingly. 'Back down before I tear you to pieces.'
     "Back down, Kile. She'll destroy you." The leader said. He had his arms crossed and leaned against the truck. I got ready to pounce, just to prove his point with my stance.
     The tiger, Kile, shook his fur, then transformed into human form. I relaxed my stance and turned back too. Both of us was still clothed, of course, we were not like werewolves. We were guardians, the rules were different for us. "Watch yourself next time," I growled. He snarled, showing fangs. I rolled my eyes, then noticed the crowd that formed. I backed up a little, getting ready to run. A hand on my shoulder, which made me jump, stopped me from planning the easy escape.
     "This is Lily. A new addition to our Streak [Noun; Group of tigers]!" He hollered, making the crowd go wild. Except for one.
     "What's her rank?" Kile growled. I've noticed that he hasn't stopped growling at me. Rude.
     "If she beats you, I'll give her second in command. Well.. After my son becomes the leader." I tensed at this. I shouldn't have a good spot here. I didn't want a good spot here. I didn't even know where here was.
     I turned to the leader. "No." He looked confused, so I gave him a quick excuse. "Boys don't like losing to girls." I gave Kile a wicked smile. He lunged at me again, transforming in mid-air. I was ready this time. I slid right a few steps, making him fly past me. I, then, transformed once more.
     We were circling each other. I was waiting for him to pounce. He did, but I met him in the air, pushing him to the ground. He tried to get up, but I put my claws into his shoulder. He whimpered and I growled out, 'I didn't want your stupid rank. You should have thought, before attacking someone.'
     I turned back, then picked my duffle bag back up. "Leader-person. Can you show me where I can put my stuff?" He smirked, then nodded. He put me in a room big enough for two people. I placed my bag on the bed. "I don't have enough stuff for this room. Do you think I could get a smaller one?"
     He shrugged, "This is the room for second-in-command. Well, soon to be."
     "I don't want the position." I sat down on the bed with a frown. The black and white room was still just to my liking. The bed was even as soft as pillows!
     "Should have thought of that before you took down Kile." He chuckled. Technically that was not my fault in the slightest.
     "I don't belong here. My mother-" I began to say, but he cut me off with a growl. Who does he think he is?
     "My son will be by with the necklace that signifies your role." Then he was gone, slamming the door behind him. Childish.
     I growled, then flopped down into the bed. I saw a light that came through a glass, sliding door. I walked over and saw it opened to a balcony. There was only a little snow on it, so I walked out there. It overlooked a forest of pines. I wanted so bad to weave through them. To let my legs carry me away. I sighed at the thought.
     "Beautiful, isn't it?" A male said next to me. I whipped my head around to see him. He had brown hair that was slicked back and coal black eyes. I wonder why I didn't hear him come in. He moved his hand too quickly, making me tense up, ready to be hit. Instead, he asked, "Are you alright, Miss? What's wrong?" I opened my eyes to see that he only wanted to shake hands.
     "Nothing.." I held on tighter to the balcony railing, making my knuckles go white. "Is there something you need?" A frown made it's way on to my features. I ignored the out-stretched hand.
     He scratched the back of his neck with the hand he had held out in an awkward fashion. "I'm the leader's son. I have your necklace and supplies needed for your classes tomorrow. You'll be going to Thunder High." He gave me a rectangle box and pointed to the backpack set by the door. I opened the box first and gasped.
     It was beautiful. Made out of a blazing gold, the necklace resembled the sun. The waves of the sun were laid out on the outer ring of the swirling circle. I loved it.
     I put it on hesitantly, mumbling thanks. He nodded and went on, "I'll come in the morning to wake you up and give you a ride to the school since I go to the same place." I studied his face to see if he was lying. He looked like he was too old to be in high school. I'm going to just guess that he is around my age. Eighteen going on nineteen. I sighed, turning back to the forest that called out to me.
     "You want to go for a run through the forest?" He asked, watching me stare into the distance. I shook my head 'no'.
     "Maybe some other time, then. I'm going to go to bed. Shoo, shoo." He smiled, walking out of the room -- my room. I went over and got comfortable under the bed's covers after shutting the glass door, drifting off to the land of unconsciousness.

 I went over and got comfortable under the bed's covers after shutting the glass door, drifting off to the land of unconsciousness

The necklace 👇