( xiii ) BUTTERFLIES

HUMMING TO HERSELF, Victoria was sat outside the Kitchen, peeling potatoes

HUMMING TO HERSELF, Victoria was sat outside the Kitchen, peeling potatoes. The sun was beaming over the Glade and she had a perfect view of the Track-Hoes, or more specifically, Newt. She couldn't help but stare after he'd removed his usual hoodie, exposing his lanky, yet strong arms.

As his mocha eyes spanned across the Glade, he immediately set them on her, watching her quickly shy away and look down at what she was doing. But after biting her lip, she looked back up again and returned the smile he was giving her. He's so beautiful, she thought to herself.

"I'm trying to hold my breath," Victoria sang quietly to herself, continuing peeling. "Let it stay this way, can't let this moment end." She didn't know how she knew the song, but somehow she did. She could sing every word printed in her head.

"You have a beautiful voice," Hearing Frypan's comment caused her to yelp with surprise and clamp her mouth shut. Chuckling and shaking his head, he plonked himself down beside her, "You didn't need to stop."

"You— You just scared me, that's all." Victoria mumbled before shrugging her shoulders, hiding the fact that maybe she was insecure with people hearing her sing. "Hey!" Her ears perked up at the faint shout of a familiar voice. "Help!"

Squinting her eyes, Victoria spotted Thomas scrambling out of the Deadheads like a lunatic, screaming for help and waving his arms. Followed by an angry looking Ben. Dropping the peeler from her hand, Victoria started sprinting across the Glade with Frypan behind.

As Ben had tackled the Greenie back to the ground and wrapped his hands around his throat, Newt tended to the situation before anyone else by throttling Ben off of Thomas with a shovel. Gally, Newt and a few other Gladers held the possessed boy down. "What're you doing?" The Second in Command questioned his friend with concern.

"Calm down, Ben." Gally jumped in as he grew increasingly agitated, growling wildly. "What the hell happened?" Frypan looked over his shoulder to Thomas, who was catching his breath, still in shock.

"He just attacked me!"

"You okay?" Chuck placed his hand on his shoulder, earning a breathless nod in response. Alby pushed his way through the crowd of boys just as Ben was slowly calming down, blood trickling down the side of his head. But then his crazed eyes found the First in Command.

"No. . . No," Even more colour drained from his face, if that was even possible. He looked like a zombie.

"Alright lift his shirt," Alby instructed much to the boy's refusal. "Lift his shirt!"

Victoria collapsed to her knees, peeling the thin material back to reveal a small black hole in the left-hand-side of his stomach. Dark black, blue and purple veins protruded off it. Victoria's hand flew over her mouth with disbelief. The sight was sickening. "He's been stung," Her words were slightly muffled as she glanced between her friends.