( vi ) WRITINGS ON THE WALL

VICTORIA PACED OUTSIDE THE HOMESTEAD, anxiously waiting to be called in and told what her permanent job was going to be

VICTORIA PACED OUTSIDE THE HOMESTEAD, anxiously waiting to be called in and told what her permanent job was going to be. She had decided in her head which she wanted the most, but that didn't mean the Keepers would agree with her. That's what worried her, that they would give her a job she would dread waking up to everyday.

"They deciding your job?" An unfamiliar voice rang through her ears, making her pause in her tracks and turn around. She was faced with a boy she hadn't met before. His skin held a slight olive tint and his messy brown hair was ruffled across his forehead.

"Yeah," Victoria answered, gnawing away at her lip, "I hate not knowing things."

The boy chuckled, "Honey, I was exactly the same when they were discussing mine. If it reassures you somehow, they do listen to your own suggestions."

"Oh yeah? What's your job?" The girl tilted her head whilst raising a single eyebrow, watching him smile lightly.

"Track-Hoe. It isn't that bad, I find it therapeutic sometimes to be honest," The boy explained with a shrug of his shoulders. He then shot his hand out, "Adrian."

"Victoria," The girl shook it, already feeling like she and Adrian would be good friends. He didn't come across as. . . Boyish? He definitely gave off a camp vibe about him. He wasn't eyeing up her body or trying to flirt with her.

"Between you and I, I was quite relieved to see a girl come up in the box," He lowered his voice, decreasing the space between them, "Don't get me wrong, there's some eye candy around here, but they're all so damn hormonal," His body quivered a little with disgust.

"So you're. . ."

"Definitely not your type," Adrian chuckled to himself, folding his arms, "I must ask, what's going on between you and Newt? Because he is hot as balls and you're always giving gooey eyes at each other."

"We're just friends," Victoria repeated the same answer she'd gotten so used to saying in response to people's assumptions, "Really. We genuinely are just friends."

"For the moment?" Adrian quirked his eyebrows expectantly, "Or is he in the friend zone?"

"I. . . I don't know," The girl sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of her nose, "We both feel like we knew each other before the maze, hence why we clicked pretty much immediately."

"But you like him? C'mon, I won't spill. Cross my heart," Adrian drew a cross across his chest with his finger, his eyes filled with pure curiosity.