( xvii ) TERESA

UPON HEARING RUSHED FOOTSTEPS, Thomas and Minho's heads snapped over the door of the Map Room where a familiar brunette came into view, catching her breath from jogging

UPON HEARING RUSHED FOOTSTEPS, Thomas and Minho's heads snapped over the door of the Map Room where a familiar brunette came into view, catching her breath from jogging. Pursing her lips together, she gave them a short nod. A nod of acceptance. For the responsibility of becoming a Runner and hopefully finding more clues. She wasn't exactly enthusiastic about saying yes, but if her help could potentially get everybody out of that goddamn maze, then she was willing to take the risk.

Stepping inside, her hazel orbs travelled down to the large model of what looks to be the entirety of the maze, made out of sticks. From the Glade in the centre, to every twist and turn of the walls. "That's the maze," Minho confirmed as the three of them stared down at it. "All of it."

"What do you mean, all of it? I thought you were still mapping it." Thomas's response caught Victoria's attention, causing her to frown and fold her arms with the same amount of confusion.

Minho looked them both in the eye, "There's nothing left to map. I've ran every inch of it myself. Every cycle, every pattern. If there was a way out, we would've found it by now."

"Minho. . ." Victoria trailed off, shaking her head and swallowing back the saliva building up in her mouth. "Why haven't you told anyone this?"

"It was Alby's call," The Runner removed his hands from the table, straightening his posture. "People needed to believe we have a chance of getting out. But maybe now," He walked around to stand between them. "We have a real chance."

"Take a look at this." He continued after handing Thomas the Griever device. "About a year ago, we started exploring these outer sections, and we found these numbers printed on the walls. Sections one to eight. See the way it works, is that every night when the maze changes, it opens up a new section," He explained whilst pointing out certain parts of the model. "So today, section six was open. Tomorrow, it'll be four, then eight, then three. The pattern always stays the same."

"What's so special about seven?" Thomas questioned, glancing down at the red number lit on the device.

"I don't know," Minho answered, stalking around. "Last night when I saw that Griever, section seven was open. Think it must be where it comes from. Tomorrow, the three of us are gonna take a closer look."

Victoria ignored the spark of anxiety in the pit of her stomach, simply nodding with agreement. Two more pairs of footsteps were heard, crunching against the dirt outside. Clint and Jeff appeared breathlessly. "Hey. What're you guys doing? You're not allowed down here." Minho questioned the boys.

"Sorry. It's just, the um, it's the girl." Jeff's words caught Victoria's attention.

"What? Is she awake?"