( vii ) WATER FIGHT

VICTORIA EXHALED DEEPLY through her nose as she was laid down on the grass with Adrian beside her, his head next to hers except from the opposite angle, so his lips were in line with her eyes

VICTORIA EXHALED DEEPLY through her nose as she was laid down on the grass with Adrian beside her, his head next to hers except from the opposite angle, so his lips were in line with her eyes. They had been staring up at the sky, talking about anything and nothing.

"I hate being trapped here," The boy spoke up casually, "I'm being deprived of so many hot guys on the outside."

Victoria chuckled, "Yet you're in a Glade full of boys."

"Yeah, but none of them have caught my eye. Not like Newt has with you," He grumbled, tearing at the grass tickling his hands. Victoria parted her lips for a moment, but didn't comment on the fact he'd brought up her and Newt. What was she meant to say? She'd admitted to Adrian how she felt about the blonde boy.

"Well, I'm sure once we finally get out of here, you'll find someone special," Is all she responded with, hearing him release a discouraged sigh.

"If we get out of here."

Victoria twisted her head to stare back at the brown haired boy with knitted eyebrows, "Don't say that. We'll never get out with that attitude."

"It's true!" He exclaimed heavily, "It's been years and we've found nothing. Absolutely no clues as to a way out of this shithole. I'd rather not get my hopes up for something that literally feels impossible at this stage."

In a way, Victoria understood her friend. He'd been trapped there a lot longer than her, he'd seen the best and the worst times. The easiest and the hardest. The reality was maybe they really would be stuck in the maze for good, and the thought terrified her.

"C'mon, don't be such a Debbie Downer," She tried to lighten the mood, "What's one thing you wanna do when we get out of here? Except meet a hot guy."

She listened to Adrian hum in thought, his lips pursed tightly together, "I guess I'd like a pet. Maybe a cat, cats are cute, right?"

"Of course, cats are adorable and cuddly."

"Okay, well I'd like one of those. A really fat one, and call him Chewie," His confirmation made the brunette laugh loudly, "What? Chewie is a cool name."

"No, no. I couldn't agree more," Her laughter died down and she could just picture the furry feline in her head, "I'll be looking forward to meeting him someday."

Sitting up, she rolled over to lie on her belly instead, her curls falling across her shoulders. Squinting her eyes, she spotted a lanky figure busy at work in the Gardens. Nibbling on her lip, she recalled the feeling of his hand cupping hers as he helped her carve her name into the wall.

"Vic and Newt sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. . ." Adrian's overly loud singing brought her out of her trance and she slapped her hand over his mouth, muffling his words.