( i ) THE GLADE

DARKNESS

DARKNESS. As soon as Victoria's eyes shot open, she was met with darkness. She choked out a loud gasp, her body feeling heavy and her head throbbing. Her eyes darted around, anywhere and everywhere, trying to find something she could actually see. As she sat herself up, she placed her hand over her damp forehead which was slick with sweat. That's when she realised, that wherever she was, whatever she was in, it was moving. Like an elevator. Further and further up. It felt never ending.

Her shaky hands felt her surroundings. She could feel some sort of caged walls, and some boxes. She was completely trapped. "Hello?!" She called out, her throat scratchy and dry, making her tone more hoarse than usual. "Hello? Can anybody hear me?" She fisted up her hands and started bashing them against the cage walls. "Anybody?!" Her eyes filled up with hot tears as everything built up her anxiety. She didn't know where she was, or what happened, or what was going to happen.

Victoria found herself shrieking when without warning, the cage started moving even faster, sending her tumbling back onto her butt painfully. Hissing in pain, she felt the air around her flipping her long locks behind her shoulders. All she could do was continue shouting, hoping someone, anyone would hear her. Her stomach churned as she felt more and more claustrophobic and nauseous. Burying herself on the ground in a corner, she brought her legs up to her chest and closed her eyes, silent tears streaming down her cheeks.

After what felt like forever, the cage stopped abruptly with a jolt. Victoria opened her eyes and diverted them to look above her where she saw a hole opening, the light hitting her so suddenly, making her close her eyes again and look away. She could hear voices. Lots of voices. She shot up to her feet when somebody else hopped down into the cage with a thump. Her wide, red rimmed eyes landed on a tall, lanky figure. As her vision became clearer, she noticed his sandy hair, soft mocha eyes and tinted lips.

"Bloody hell." He whispered, staring at the girl in front of him with wide eyes.

"D-Don't come any closer." Victoria instructed firmly, trying to look more confident and intimidating. Of course, she failed. She was terrified. "It's okay," He held his hands out cautiously, not wanting to scare her even more. "You're okay. I'm not gonna hurt you."

"W-Who are you?" Victoria's voice cracked.

"I'm Newt. Can you tell me your name?" He asked the big question, watching as she silently thought about her answer. Her features twisted with annoyance and confusion. "I. . ." She trailed off, shaking her head. "I can't remember. Why can't I remember my own name?" Her chest heaved up and down, her heartbeat rising.

"Okay. Hey, look at me." Newt told her, making her stare back at him. "Everything's okay." She found something comforting about him. Something that immediately told her he wasn't a bad person. That he wasn't going to hurt her. She didn't flinch or even move when he approached her, lowering his arms to his sides. Hearing more muttering, she glanced up to be faced with a large group of boys looking into the cage. Her body tensed.