Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mr and Mrs Neil left for the city that evening leaving the Little sisters trio behind in Jace's care. After a quick farewell, Jace bundled all of them into his car. They drove off to the nearest eatery. Clad in yet another of her unisex t-shirt and loose-fitting jeans, Lucy could hardly claim to be dressed sexy, but she could never tell that from the look in Jace's eyes, each time they ran over her and that happened plenty.

Lucy blossomed under the attention. Each time she caught his gaze on her, she flushed with excitement. She knew he was attempting to seduce her with his attention and his constant presence. His efforts weren't in vain. If she was sizzling from his mere proximity before, then she was melting now.

Lucy smiled weakly at his intense gaze and he returned it with a beaming grin that near knocked her off her feet. Thankfully, she was already seated. Lucy gulped down a mouthful of wine before looking up to meet his inquisitive gaze. But found herself caught in the sizzling heat of his gaze regardless. The twin's presence did nothing to soften the intensity of his gaze. Not one bit.

Feeling more than usually flustered, Lucy rose abruptly from the table and with a politely muttered excuse made a beeline for the restroom. She needed to freshen up to pull herself together... to put some space between them, to recover some control over herself. She didn't want this.

Glaring into the mirror in front of her she repeated loudly, "I don't want this." Her glare mirrored back at her, the intensity of her gaze held a moment then wavered indecisively. There was that ever-present yearning for Jace that she never could really deny. No matter what she tried, it never really went away.

But trust was a hard thing to come by and having known in intimate detail all Jace's encounters with the opposite sex, it was hard to deny that that her trust in him was terribly lacking when it came to the matters of the heart. Especially, when it was her own heart.

She washed her hands and stared into her shaken expression in the mirror knowingly. She was beyond help. Her flushed features and bright eyes said it all. She was to all intents and purposes in his thrall. Her heart thud in her chest with an anxious beat.

Heaving a great sigh, she turned in resignation to head back out and back to Jace. With a stubborn determination, she ignored the secret trill that sent her heart skipping a beat and put on the frown she knew she needed to wear on her face for protection.

"Emily?" Lucy called out on seeing her walk past her as Lucy emerged from the restroom.

"I need some air," Emily threw over her shoulder as she continued her path towards the exit of the restaurant. Emily was still unhappy about Jace's interest in Lucy, but she was sporting enough try. Lucy hoped that Emily would soon set this behind her and move on to someone closer to her age. Lucy hated that she was hurting her, that she was causing her this pain. But just as she could not help Emily's hurt, Lucy couldn't help her own lust either.

Lucy returned to her seat to face the now solemn Cat. She peeked a glance at Jace and found his trained unrelentingly on her. Her already heated cheeks flushed anew. It felt strange to be on the receiving end of his look. Having seen it directed at others before, it was weird to be the recipient of the look.

"I don't want desert," said Cat, looking at Lucy earnestly, hinting at something with her hard stare. Lucy took a wild guess as to what she wanted and said uncertainly, "I ...don't ... want any desert either?"

"Was that a statement or a question?" asked Jace, his amused glance missing nothing. Lucy managed a sheepish shrug in response.

"Well alright then, I'll call for the bill," Jace murmured agreeably. The waitress was swift in executing his request. All too soon the three of them were heading out the front door.