Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Wake up sleepy heads."

Lucy woke to find their positions had somehow twisted over in their sleep. Jace's heavy head now lay on her chest flattening out her already barely-there breasts. Lucy looked up groggily at the familiar voice to find Daniel Neil looking down at them in silent in inquiry. Her reaction was swift and instantaneous. With a rude shove to the weight on her chest, Lucy not only managed to dislodge the obstacle bearing her down but also topple Jace nearly off the bed.

"Hey!" Jace grunted, thankfully still disoriented by sleep.

Ignoring him, Lucy gave his dad a red-faced sheepish smile before rapping at Jace's head insistently to rouse him up.

"Ouch!" He grimaced sideways at her, but Lucy only nodded at a point over his shoulder.

"Dad!"

"I'd like to see the both of you as soon as you are decent," said Mr Neil, before backing out the door. Decent? Mortified, Lucy glanced swiftly down at her barely clad form and was relieved to find she was covered enough with the sheet. But Lucy was more than embarrassed at being caught in next to nothing. With only Jace and this sheet to bar her from view.

But while Lucy was all worked up in discomfort, Jace appeared unperturbed. No doubt he was used to getting caught in a compromising situation with a girl in his bed. With an impish smile her way, Jace scattered off the bed in a rush to get dressed to face his dad. Lucy moved off at a more sedate pace. Why had the Neil's returned so soon? They emerged from Jace's room, both holding hands with curiosity on their minds.

Stepping out into the living room, Lucy was surprised to find her own parents seated there but it was Daniel Neil who caught and held her gaze before nodding to Lucy's and Jace's still joined hands. Lucy released her hold on him. Flexing her fingers gingerly as if charred from holding hot bricks.

"Dad," greeted Jace, then on seeing her father there as well, he added on a quieter note, "Mr Little, sir, how are you?" He moved over to Lucy's mum to give her a warm hug.

"Dad? Mum?" Lucy exclaimed more in alarm than surprise. Her mum and dad being here could mean only one thing- that something was wrong! Seeing her mother's tear ravaged face, Lucy felt her heart clench in sudden fear.

Seeing them arrive, Mrs Neil excused herself to get more coffee. But Lucy was surprised to find Mr Neil rise too, heading to his son, he paused long enough to whisper something Lucy couldn't hear in his ear and then Jace was turning back to her, offering her a comforting smile that served more to alarm her than anything else.

"We're sorry to drop in like this, darling," said Mary Little, coming over to grasp her daughter's hands, leading her to a chair. "We... I, just couldn't wait. Honey, I need to know have you read the letter? Have you read your father's letter?"

The letter? That was why they were here? Lucy couldn't help breathing out a sigh of relief. Was that all? "Yes. Yes, I read it. Mum, you didn't have to come all this way for this. A simple phone call would have done. And so early?" Lucy couldn't help her disjointed questioning as she glanced out the window.

The sun was up but that meant nothing in summer. It was sunny all the time. Her glance at the clock told her it was just seven and that meant, her parents had to have gotten up way earlier to make the trip here. And, the Neil's had returned with them too? Lucy's suspicions were back.

Mary Little breathed a sigh of relief, then exchanging a quick glance with her husband, she turned back to Lucy to continue. "It's good that you have read the letter. Your brother has been found. You know about that then. It was such a relief," she broke off on a half sob, "It was such a relief, when they found him." Mary Little gasped out, reaching over to pull Lucy into a warm hug.