Ch. 6 - The Not So Great Meeting

Frank an I woke up to the sound of someone banging on a drum set really loud, and it sounded nearby. It was my brother. Robbie had the electric drum set turned up really loud and he purposely moved it close to us to give us a rude awakening. This kid knew what he was doing. Now just to shut him up.

"Robert! Turn it down!" I screamed. He wasn't really playing an actual drumbeat, just random noises.

Robbie was only ten and he had picked up drumming last year. Since I was so good at musical instruments, he wanted to challenge me. He had really became skilled at the drums pretty quick. We sometimes asked him to do some fills once and while for our band. He wasn't an official member though.

I looked over at my phone because I saw it start glowing. That meant I had a text. It was from Stephanie.

*Hey* That's really all she could say. I decided to pretend I didn't get her message.

Stephanie was my friend from school. She was really my only girlfriend. We did school projects together and always talked in class. We didn't do much outside-of-school stuff, but we got along pretty well. She sometimes came over to sit with Ray, Frank, and I at lunch - but only sometimes.

I turned around to look for Frank, but he had already gone in for breakfast. I got up and walked inside. I grabbed my bowl and instead of sitting next to Frank, I pretended like I didn't see him, and sat on top of him.

"Hey, do you want to go play vollyball out front?" Frank asked while he was hopping from one foot to another. That spazz. That's why I was friends with him.

"Sure," I bent over to kick the vollyball out the door.

I plugged in my music and sat the speaker on top of the nearest car next to us. I turned on 'The Bird and the Worm,' by The Used, and walked to the middle of the street.

We bumped the ball around for about thirty minutes, when Mikey came over to join us. Well, he didn't really ask- I had to invite him. And even then, he was hesitant. I introduced him to Frank and he seemed to back away. But Frank handled it well.

"I've heard your a pretty good bass player," Frank told Mikey. Mikey didn't show much emotion. He just shrugged.

"No, not really," Mikey whispered.

"Oh, come on! Your amazing," I told him.

"Elise..." Mikey said doubtfully. You could barely ever make out what this kid mumbled sometimes.

"No really, I mean it". I didn't him to get depressed. Again.

Frank shot me a sappy look but I knew he was joking. He always does that kind of junk. I shot one right back at him.

We sat there and talked and Mikey occasionally said something. Most of the time he just sat there, happy to be listening.

"Elise?" I turned around to see Gerard kind of looking at Frank. It might just be me, but he kinda looked a little jealous of Frank. But, I don't know. He hasn't even met him yet.

Frank looked around at Gerard and kind of had a flat look on his face.

"You must be Gerard," Frank said, gesturing to him.

"Yea, that's me," Gerard said doubtfully, "And I guess your Frank? Or Ray? Elise said Ray was calmer, and what I've been seeing, you seem kinda spazzy".

Frank laughed sarcastically, but then he started deciding if that was an insult to him or not. What I saw, he seemed to shrug it off.

"Ya, this is Frank. Ray won't be home until tomorrow. So... do you guys want to come hang out in the music room?" I asked everyone.

Mikey was the first to answer. "Yeah!" he squeaked.

Gerard and Frank weren't so quick to answer. They shot glares at each other. This was not good. I really need them to get along.

"Sure," Frank grumbled.

"Ya, that's fine," Gerard looked at Frank.

Mikey hopped up ahead and ran inside the house. Gerard slowly followed. Frank and I stayed behind to gather up our stuff. He leaned over.

"I'm not sure I like this kid, Elise," he whispered.

"Give him a chance, Frank! I really think you guys could become really good friends. Don't worry!"

I leaned over and gave him a long hug. He hugged back. For some reason, this hug seemed different from the other silly, friendly ones we've always done before. I really felt his emotion. I knew I was in the right place. It seemed genuine.

"I just know you will," I whispered into his shoulder.

"Trust me".