Ch. 3 The Agreement

It bothered me so much. Why the heck did no one evr introduce me to Gerard Way. I mean he lives RIGHT across the street from me. I actually even sometimes stared out of my window at his house before. I used to imagine who could live there. And that's what I was doing now. Except, I imagined what Gerard was doing right now. I thought of him in his room, music posters on the walls, with his brother, drawing beautiful pictures. Maybe even writing lyrics. He seemed like that kind of person.

I couldn't wait to talk to him again. Even though he didn't talk much, I was determined to have him warm up to me. I imagined our next conversation in my head. It ended up being 1:00 a.m. When I decided to go to bed. That night, I had a dream about our band, Falling, with new lead singer, Gerard Way.

Once again, I grabbed my guitar, my iTouch, my speakers, and my sketchbook and walked out front. I sat my stuff and my self down in the middle of the dead, front lawn. I turned on 'Mother Mary' by the Foxboro Hottubs (Green Day) and got lost with my pencil and paper. I uasually got lost in music and art. It was about after ten minutes of dreaming, I heard a sound behind me.

"Hey... Elise?" It finally (just my luck) was the person I had been waiting for. Gerard was wearing a Muse t-shirt. He seemed pretty proud of it since he knew I liked them too. In his hands were his own sketchbook and pencils ( he seemed to use a lot of colors in his art [unlike me]).

"Would it be ok if I drew with you?" It just hit me that HE was the one asking to join ME. He seemed to be the one who was really shy. I think he warned up to me fast.

"Yeah, totally!" Ok. Yes, I was excited and nervous. I immediately peered over his shoulder when he sat cross-legged next to me. "What ya drawing?"

He looked like he was concentrating hard. "Well, it's kinda random junk put together. Nothing special." There was a dark looking tree with falling leaves everywhere. Next to it were words that said, 'When I grow up, I want to be nothing at all'. It was beautiful, once again. Gerard made everything beautiful.

"Did you make that up?" I asked.

"Yeah. It doesn't mean anything. I just make up song lyrics sometimes". Oh gosh. Here it comes. I'm gonna say it.

"Oh my god. That's awesome! I never have been good at writing songs. I actually have a band with a few of my friends. Would you maybe want to join as our lead singer? I know this is really soon. But I have already heard you sing, and come on, your a songwriter! You're amazing!". Well that was not how I planned it. Not at all.

He looked a little stunned, but then he looked to actually be considering it. I think I caught him off guard. "I don't know. I don't sing publicly, really. I never have. Except at some old school plays at my first school. But I moved in fourth grade. Nobody has really heard me since then". He looked down in embarrassment.

"Oh come on Gerard! Don't underestimate yourself! You are like so perfect. I'm sure everyone would love you!" I really hoped I wasn't making it awkward.

But I don't think it did. He actually seemed to be taking in what I said. I saw a small smile show up in the middle of that thinking time. What he said next surprised me out of my skin.

"You know what, that sounds like it could e fun. I mean, I have been sitting in my room now for years. I need to use my voice again. I have been homeschooled these past years because my parents thought it was best. But I'm gonna be going to your middle school this year. So I guess I should do something to get myself out there".

"Really?!? Holy crap. Ok. Cool! Um yeah, our band is called Falling. So far it is just me and two guitarists, Frank Iero and Ray Toro. They are really cool people. I'm sure you will like them. The only problem is that we don't have a drummer or bassist". I had turned the music down a while ago, but when 'Fallen Angels' by Black Veil Brides came on, I started silently singing it in my head. But then I stopped to hear Gerards response.

"I actually know of a bassist...." he trailed off, but then picked up again, "He's really shy. Shyer than me - and that's saying something." He kinda did a short laugh. "It's my brother. Mikey. He's really awesome. I just don't know if he would be too scared to be with other people..." he trailed off again. But this time he stopped.

I felt kind of weird making all of these decisions without Ray or Frank. But this seemed like too great of an opritunity to pass up. A lead singer and a bassist, all in one package. I mean, I think Frankie and Ray would agree with me on this.

We sat and talked about music and other stuff we had in common. I told him about our middle school and offered to show him around when school started next week. He told me about his old school and home in New Jersey. He seemed to miss it a lot. I felt for him. A lot of change at one time could be a lot to handle. He was a really brave guy, I found out.

"Are you doing anything this week?" I asked.

"I don't really go anywhere. I mean, like occasional family get togethers or stuff like that, but Mikey is really my only friend here".

"Well, now you've got me too". I smiled. He looked up and smiled back. "So you think you'd be able just to hang out this week?"

"Deffinetly". He was so perfect.

It was about 6:00 p.m. When I went inside. I called 'goodbye' behind me. Then I heard a 'see you tomorrow' from off in the distance. I couldn't wait until tomorrow. We were going to sing together and Gerard was going to sing me a song he wrote. Maybe I'd even be able to meet Mikey. This was going to be a good week.