Chapter 52 - Giving Back

After our win at Sectionals it was once again the Christmas season. It had always been my favorite time of the year. My last two Christmases had brought out a lot of emotions. I had found out my sister was pregnant last year. I wondered if she would be coming out to celebrate Christmas with us this year or if my mom was going to have us travel to see her this time. All I knew was Frannie had her hands full with her baby boy, Evan so we weren't sure if she would be able to make it out to see us this year.

On top of that it was our second year as a Glee Club that we had decided to do something special for Christmas. We were yet again decorating the choir room to get some Christmas cheer. Mercedes sang 'All I Want for Christmas is You' in the choir room. She really nailed the song. It was the first Christmas I was truly spending alone. In some ways I prefered that. It was nice to have someone to spend the holiday season with but with no boyfriend there wasn't that pressure to find the perfect gift for him. I wanted this Christmas to really be about what Christmas was all about, giving back to those less fortunate.

Coach Sylvester had arranged for us to help out at the Lima Homeless Shelter for Christmas and quite honestly I was looking forward to it. I had a rough year, sure but it was nothing compared to what these people were going through. If I could just give them a little bit of joy on one of the most important holidays I felt like I had done my job.

That afternoon Rory decided to sing a song to his family about how much he will miss them on his first Christmas without them. He sang 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis Presley. I couldn't help but feel for Rory. I had to spend my first Christmas without my family when I was pregnant and it was hard. I clapped for Rory. "Gosh, that song was so depressing. I may actually be dead right now," Santana said. "I I think, what Santana means is, although that that was mournfully beautiful, now that the whole glee club is back together, I think that we should focus on the more joyous and the pageant aspect of this holiday season," Rachel grinned. "Rachel's right. Last Christmas was super sad. Kurt was at another school, Coach Sylvester trashed everything, and Artie got a pair of magic legs that broke the next day. We were the island of misfit toys.This year is going to be," Tina began as she was cut off by Mr. Schue.

"This year, it's a whole new sprig of mistletoe. Guess who's not getting coal in their stockings for once us," Mr. Schue grinned "Rory, have a seat." Rory then headed back to his seat. "I just got off the phone with Don Borowski, the local station manager at Lima's PBS affiliate. Turns out that their annual broadcast of the Yule log burning has been canceled," Mr. Schue grinned. "The hell?" Puck said confused. "Yeah, they can't afford the licensing fees anymore but thank you, Scrooges who own that copyright, because Don came to Sectionals, he loved what we did - and he is offering us," Mr. Schue began as Rachel cut him off "A Christmas special featuring all of us? Okay, please say you said yes," Rachel grinned. "Not only did I say yes, but when Don said that they were looking for a director for the special, I nominated you, Artie," Mr. Schue smiled. "Me?" Artie asked surprised. "Yeah. He saw West Side Story, loved your work, and he wants to take a meeting," Mr. Schue smiled. "But I I swore I would never sell out and do television. I'm really going to have to think about this, Mr. Schue," Artie said as we all looked confused.

I couldn't believe Artie would say no to such a great opportunity. Not only could this mean big things for Artie it could also mean big things for us in the New Directions. "Wait...wouldn't that revoke our amature status?" I asked Mr. Schue "I mean we couldn't even sing 'Jump' in that commercial without getting disqualified from sectionals." "The only thing the rules said about being on TV was we could not accept any pay because payed events would result in disqualification. I talked to Don Borowski about this and he promised that he himself would make sure we didn't get our amature status revoked. We wouldn't be paid for appearing but the exposure our Glee Club would get from this would be incredible," Mr. Schue said as everyone seemed to be discussing this. I wasn't so sure that I wanted to be a part of this Christmas production. Sure, it would be nice to be seen by so many people across Lima but there was something about it that just felt like it was wrong to do.