Chapter 27 - A New Direction

The next week in Glee rehearsal started off with some unexpected news as Mr. Schue entered the choir room. "All right, let's, uh, let's gather around. Sorry I'm late, guys. I was with Principal Figgins. Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie," Mr. Schue said. I couldn't help but be shocked. What had happened to get Puck arrested? "It really was just a matter of time," Tina shrugged. "What did he do?" I asked baffled. "He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM," Mr. Schue said as some of the New Directions laughed. I just shook my head. I couldn't believe Puck would be that stupid. "And when is he getting out?" Rachel asked. "Unknown," Mr. Schue frowned.

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet, and that's coming from me," Brittany laughed. "Guys! Let's have some sympathy," Mr. Schue scolded. "For a guy who put his needs before the team's? We need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence," Finn frowned. "We can't look at this as, as a crisis. It's an opportunity," Mr. Schue said. "For what? Further embarrassment and humiliation?" I asked incredulously. "For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!" Mr. Schue grinned as Sam from the football team walked into the choir room. "There he is," Finn grinned "How's it going?" Sam smiled as he walked in.

I was glad for us to have another member but I didn't know too much about Sam other than that he was on the football team. "Hey, everybody. I'm Sam. ... Sam, I am. ... And I don't like green eggs and ham," Sam said jokingly to which most of us looked at him confused. "Oh, wow. He has no game," Santana smirked. "Okay! This is gonna be great. You're not going to regret joining, Sam," Finn grinned as he brought Sam over to sit with him and Rachel.

Mr. Schue then went on for this weeks lesson which was duets. We were supposed to pair up with someone and sing to them. I didn't know exactly who I was going to ask to sing with me. It wasn't like last year when Finn and I were together and I instantly knew I wanted to sing with him. With Puck gone I couldn't exactly ask him to sing a duet with me from juvie. I knew I had time to figure out exactly who I would be singing with for the duets competition. Mr. Schue also revealed that this would be a competition and the winner would get a dinner at Breadstix on him. Everyone seemed to be completely excited about that. It definitely put a new meaning on who you'd want to sing with. Going to Breadstix would almost be like a date. I didn't how exactly who I'd feel comfortable going with. As the bell rang I headed off to class hoping somehow I would come up with a partner.

"So do you have a duet partner yet?" Tina asked me. "No," I sighed "I don't exactly know who to ask. I mean you have Mike." "Yeah. I'm sure you'll figure someone out to sing with Quinn," Tina smiled a bit. "Thanks," I smiled a bit. Kurt came over to us excited. "Ladies, I just got a great duet partner for the duets competition," Kurt grinned. "Kurt that's amazing. Who are you singing with?" Tina asked. "Sam," Kurt grinned. "The new kid?" I said surprised. "Mhmm," Kurt said "I couldn't believe he agreed to be my partner." "Well I'm happy for you," I smiled a bit. "Thanks Quinn," Kurt said "I better get to class see you later."

If Sam was willing to sing with Kurt for the duets competition I figured that ruled him out of being a viable choice for me to see if he would sing with me. I knew I was running out of options for who I could sing with. I had to act fast before any of my other options were taken from me.

The next day I approached Mercedes. She had been one of my best friends throughout the pregnancy and was the only person who knew what I had went through over the summer. "Hey," I smiled. "Hey," Mercedes smiled back at me. "I don't know if you have a partner yet for the duets competition but do you think you'd like to sing with me?" I asked. Mercedes sighed "As much as I would love to sing with you Quinn, Santana already asked me to be her partner," Mercedes frowned. "Oh. Okay. No worries," I smiled a bit. "Sorry," Mercedes said. "It's okay," I smiled "See you around."