Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Brand New Life, With Brand New Love

It was only at the next day of school did it finally sink in, when the rumours spread and the questions started. People around me watched my every move, their eyes as sharp as hawk's, and I knew they were talking about me.

Did I care? Not at all, I had dealt with it all my life.

"Is it true?" Marie, the pinkette, snubbed from her table in Biology.

"Is what true?" I sneered at her.

"About you and Carter." She said.

"Why do you care?" I grumbled, adverting my gaze to my notes in front of me.

"I don't, I just think it's a little far-fetched."

I snorted, yeah, she was right. I wouldn't believe it either, I still couldn't. I was still waiting for me to wake up from a dream or for Carter to disappear in a cloud of smoke.

I didn't answer her, and Marie turned away from me with a light "humph". The corners of my mouth twitched.

The class was, unsurprisingly boring. The bliss of mid-morning hung in the air, as well as the smell of chalk dust and the teacher's coffee. The sound of books rustling on the desk and the whispers of people behind me, glancing up every so often in fright they might be called to give out an answer they didn't know. My book was covered in doodles, mainly love hearts, and my messy handwriting was sprawled out on the page. Instead of focusing on the teacher I was lost in my own world. I sung trippy little love songs in my head and occasionally sighed in content.

I was happy, the happiest I'd been in years.

When the bell rung, I was hyper aware of everything going on around me. Aware of the conversations springing to life and the teacher telling us to remember our homework, aware of the clock still ticking on the wall and some Malcon guy beside me asking if he could walk me to the cafeteria.

"No thanks." I declined, smiling kindly. "I think I can manage." Besides, I already had someone to walk with.

Outside the classroom, I scanned the corridor, hitching my bag tighter over my shoulder in anxiousness. My gaze fell open him, casually standing against the wall, and I let out my breath.

Carter grinned when he saw me, gesturing for me to join him, which I quickly did.

"How did you get out before me?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "Can you teleport or something?"

"Yeah, of course I can" he scoffed. "And I can read minds, too."

"Then what am I thinking?" I asked playfully, raising an eyebrow.

He was thoughtful for a second, then he smirked. "Hmm, you're thinking about how hot I am right now, and how hard it is to control yourself around me."

I laughed. "Sure, whatever you say." It was something along those lines anyway. "But really, I'm curious, how did you get here before me?"

Carter looked around and pulled a piece of white paper from his pocket, a toilet pass. "What they don't know can't hurt them."

"Lying, Carter?" I gasped in mock horror. "Isn't that one of the seven sins?"

"Well if it is, then we're both damned." He said lightly as he grabbed my arm and pulled me closer.

"I'll go to hell with you any day." I told him, warming to his touch.

He teasingly ruffled my hair, which made me pout. "C'mon, let's get some grub, yeah?" He released me, but keeping my hand. Just like at the beach, and the other night at Ivy's, and yesterday after school walking me home. Would I ever get used to his hand in mine?

As we walked, people stared. I swear their eyes were stuck on us like glue. It made me feel nervous, and I frowned.

"Don't they have something better to do?" I muttered stubbornly, and Carter shook his head.

"No, they're vultures. They sit around all day waiting for something to happen so they can spread word."

"Their lives must suck." I didn't feel sorry for them; it was their choice to live a life like Gossip Girl.

There was nothing to say then, we held our heads high and tightened on our grasp, strong and proud.

"I knew it, I just knew it!" Came a voice right in my ear, but not from the side Carter was. I glanced up in shock to see Ivy, carrying her school books in her arms and walking close to me.

"Knew what?" I said back.

"Hey, Ivy." Carter greeted her, a little shocked as well at her sudden appearance.

"That you and him were gunna . . . you know . . get together." She whispered, ignoring Carter completely.

"I told you last night, didn't you believe me?" Hurt rose in my chest.

"Well, I did, but i just had to see it for myself." She did a little skip in here walk. "Carter freaking Jard." She repeated her words from the other night.

"Took it right from my mouth." I mumbled smugly.

"Well, I've gotta go fetch my Art book, so I'll see you in the cafeteria." She started to drop back and head for the Art room, but before getting out of our sight called. "Nice talking to you, Carter."

Carter look confused. "What does she mean by that? She didn't even talk to me." He said, his eyes on her retreating figure.

"I think she's a little too shocked to talk to you right now. . . . . and I don't blame her. I'm a little shocked myself." The doors to the cafeteria were just in front, and I edged to get closer. I wanted to show the world who I had in my hands.

He nodded understandingly. "I know what you mean, it just seems so, surreal."

"Wait," I skidded to a stop before we could reach the doors. "What if Eliza's in here?"

"I told you, she can't bully me any more."

"I'm not worried about the blackmail." I said. "I'm worried about her skitzo she'll have when she sees us." I could picture it now, cheeks enflamed in fury and hands shaking in anger. Would she pick me up and throw me against the wall again?

"You're a big girl," by the way he said it, he sounded amused. "I think you can handle it."

"I know I can." I sneered. "But I still have a bad feeling about what's behind that door." It was no denying it, there was just something . . . . weird about it. I could feel it rattling through my bones, and I shivered,

Carter laughed, his voice as beautiful as wind-chimes. "I'm sure it's just the nerves, crazy lady."

I gave him a glare. "Call me that one more time and your head goes into that wall." It was hard to hide the smile when I imagined me trying to even pick him up.

"Okay!" He chuckled again. "Note to self, don't mess with her."

Sighing, I pulled him forward again and through the doors, where instantly my I was on high alert. Was Eliza in here? How would she react? Would she rip my head off.

There was a smoky haziness that filled the air above. I sniffed and grimaced,

"Something smells like cancer in here." I grumbled to him, trying to hold my breath.

"Cancer has a smell?" He asked, sniffing like I did and coughing.

"Yeah, cigarettes." I wheezed. "If a teacher comes in here, they'll be in so much trouble."

But, it wasn't a student. I looked to where it was coming from, ready to glare at them in disgust.

But my mouth dropped open.

My blood boiled in my chest, I let go of Carter's hand in surprise.

In that one moment, the whole world seemed to slow down. In that one moment, it was just me and them, staring each other down.

No.

No, he wouldn't, would he?

But he was there, breathing out smoke like the dragon he was.

How dare he?

"Barney," I hissed. "What the hell are you doing here?"