Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Your Guardian Angel

"M'am, could you please tell me again what the man told you?"

It was Detective Bensen this time, the one with the thick brown moustache that was so big you couldn't see his top lip. His breath smelt like cigarettes and doughnuts. His eyes were calm.

I knew exactly what he had said to me, I knew every single word. Every single word was like a knife cutting into my skin, like a razor across my stomach.

A razor across my stomach.

Suddenly I was thirteen again. My face was streaked with tear lines. My figure was slouched against the bathroom wall, nearly as cold as the razor that gleamed in my hand. With I a sob and a pain filled scream, I strew it across my stomach.

You deserve this, I was thinking, you just aren't good enough.

Red filled my vision, splattered the floor. Red, everywhere.

Pain, was painful.

But relieving.

Red pain.

Red everywhere.

"Lily? Lily? Are you alright?"

Carter was shaking me, the blue in his eyes softening the red that I saw. His face brought me out of my terrifying nightmare. The red was gone now, except for the red floating in the back of my head. The red hair, the eyes, always watching.

Red was always watching.

No matter where I was, no matter who I was with.

He was watching, ready to kill me.

"He said that if I didn't call off the lawsuit, there would be consequences, that he was a powerful man. That he knew where I was, every single day." My vision was going blurry. "He said if I told anyone he would kill me."

"And the lawsuit was for the event that happened a month ago?"

"Yes," I nodded. "With Barney."

"Barney Fletcher," the officer sighed and scribbled in his notepad. "Did Red ever mention where he came from? Or who he worked with? Did he ever mention where the drugs were from?"

Where they trying to find where the drug houses was? Trying to get me into even more trouble? "I-I don't know, sir." I stuttered. "I don't remember."

"Officer, I'm sorry," Carter interrupted before Officer Bensen could  

talk, an arm resting on my back. "But it's late, and I really need to get her home."

He nodded, sighed, and leant back in his chair. "Sure, I'll just go get the Chief so we can discuss your protection plan."

"Protection plan?" I muttered when the door slammed shut behind him.

"Yeah, to make sure we're safe." Carter squeezed my shoulder.

Safe. The word was daunting. Was I ever going to be safe again? That society knew my name, where I lived, they knew everything about me. Would I ever be able to sleep again? And, if I did, would I ever be free of nightmares?

"Safe," I gulped and nodded. "Yeah, safe."

"Don't worry, love, they know what they're doing." He held me closer.