Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Enemies And Frenemies

"I suggest you get off this property, before I call the principle to escort you." Carter said through clenched teeth, stepping forward into the fog in front of him. My fingers slid away from his, frozen in shock. Instantly, the scar on my nose prickled lightly, reminding me once again of his hard fist.

He was the last thing I wanted to see, for the rest of my life.

And now he was here, in front of me, in my school?

I wanted to swear at him until my lungs hurt, I wanted to clench my fists and sock him in the nose like he did, I wanted to make him feel as depressed, as unwanted as I did.

But I couldn't, all I could do was stare as they both faced each other. Carter, the most amazing person in my world, almost shaking with anger, and Barney, my . . . . I guess you could say archenemy.

Then he spoke, his voice so deep it sent a strange sliver through my body. It was as cold as ice, heartless and pitiful.

"No need," He breathed out again. It took all my effort to hold my cough in. The smell covered the room and made me wrinkle my nose. "I'm just here to see my daughter and then I'll leave."

Carter's face was so frightening I almost cringed.

"She's no daughter of yours!" He spat, his hands slightly trembling. "You don't even deserve to be in her sight after what you did."

Something inside my frigid self bubbled. It was warm an wonderful. It was the fact that he was standing up for me.

"What I did was what was necessary." He said calmly.Necessary? Had he misused the word? I thought necessary meant that it was essential? So it was essential to punch me in the face, send me running from home, and not even talk to me all these years?

"She was out of line, she needed to know that." Barney continued.

Oh, so I was out of line was I? Suddenly I was unfrozen and scowling at him.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" I exclaimed. Barney looked at me in surprise, like he had forgotten I was even here.

I scoffed, I guess some things never change.

"What do you want, Barney?" No longer Father or Dad, he would never be a Dad to me. "Hurry up and say it before I do get the principle."

He sighed, and Carter gingerly wrapped his fingers around mine again. "I just wanted to give you this, and tell you that your stuff is ready to be picked up."

In his hand was a yellow envelope, it's edges slightly brittle and creased. He held it out to me, but I just stared at his hand, the same hand that gave me that ugly scar.

"What?" I whispered. "What is it?"

He nudged it again. "Take it, I haven't got all day."

And so I did, immediately stepping back when it reached my hands. It was cold and smelt like home. I didn't open it, I just held it and looked at it.

"Are you going to open it?" Barney sneered impatiently, and I ignored him. I looked up to Carter, and he could see that I was afraid.

He shrugged. "You never know until you try." He whispered

He was right. I sighed and started picking at the edges, sticky and glued on tight. The only sounds were the people in the cafeteria around us and me, ripping my envelope apart.

I felt like throwing it on the ground and running away from it. I wanted to run away from him.

Man up, Lily, I told myself. It's just an envelope.