Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 6

Chapter 6: A Song To Remember

"Are you sure you're okay?" Carter helped me up from where I had slumped on the floor. I took his hand meekly, trying to stand up lady-likely. He looked to the right and scowled at Douglas's retreating figure.

"Yeah, I'm kind of shaken, but alright." I answered, trying not to make the nervousness I felt ease into my tone.

"I swear I'll bash that kid." Carter murmured just loud enough that I could hear.

I brushed the dirt, or whatever it was, off my skirt in a fluid movement. "I'm sure there's no need. I think Eliza will kill him for even looking at me."

He smiled ever so warmly. "Well, if that's the case, I'll be murdered." He told me cockily.

Blushing, I fumbled with my skirt, trying to slow down the thumping of my heart.

"Will you wait here for a second?" I asked him awkwardly. "I have to go do something."

Carter looked puzzled, but shrugged.

"I'll be here." He said, leaning against a locker.

With one last agonizing look at him, I turned away and dashed for the girl's bathroom, still trying to ignore the stares people were giving me.

It didn't take that long to hurry into a cubicle and change my slutty little skirt for a pair of comfortable light denim skinny jeans I had stashed in my canvas bag. One satisfied look and a quick gasp in surprise in the mirror, and I bounded out of there and back to Carter.

"That was quick." He said.

I smiled. "I feel way better." I told him, stretching my legs out. "I cannot believe that Ivy made me wear that skirt."

"Well, I liked it, and I'm sure everyone else did too." He said. "So, you're friends with the Ivy chick now?"

I nodded. "Yeah, she's really nice." I said.

What the hell, Lily? My inner self screamed at me in frustration. This guy dumped your head down the toilet. Why are you talking to him?

He was addictive.

"Uhh," I stepped back a quarter of an inch, but Carter still noticed.

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking slightly offended.

I averted my eyes around me, looking for an excuse, and found one, literally right in front of me.

"Um, blonde, twelve-o'clock." I whispered under my breath, not really caring if he heard I just called his step-sister a bimbo. Eliza, perfectly beautiful and elegant as always, was strutting up the hallway, her minions following her like little puppies. Carter turned around and stiffened, and then back to me with a grim expression.

"Oh god." He said.

"Carter! I see you're making friends." Eliza smiled at him and put a hand on his shoulder. Then she looked at me with such happiness that I thought I might barf. "Hi, I'm Eliza Jard, School Captain and School Queen. What's your name?" She held out a hand as if I was to shake it.

My mouth nearly opened wide in disbelief. Seriously, I had been here nearly half my life, and just after a small makeover she doesn't recognize me?