Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 12

Chapter 12: The Day After

School on Monday was a daunting experience, a terrifying experience. People still stared at me as I walked past, trailing their eyes up and over my outfit, (my new outfit, Ivy's mom had gone shopping for me on Saturday. Such a darl!)

They all whispered and gossiped about my nose, of course. It hadn't healed at all, still bruised and swollen, what a lovely sight that was. 

The weekend was, to be honest, uneventful. I was too scared to go outside, ashamed of the massive sized band-aid on my face. The doctor confirmed that it wasn't broken, thank god, but it would take about a month for the scabs to recede. Great, a month with this, this thing, on my face, a constant reminder of that afternoon. 

That didn't mean that the weekend wasn't enjoyable. Ivy and I spent all our days either playing Guitar Hero (she's pro at it, beat me every time) or in the spa. We sat up all night watching horror movies, and talked and laughed about anything that crossed our minds. I did go out one time, away from the public eye. Danielle, Ivy, Scott (Ivy's father), and I all went for a picnic on Sunday afternoon in the field behind their yard. It was amazing, I felt like a part of their family. Family, something I hadn't felt in a long time.

When school started, Ivy and I just walked. It wasn't so far away, and even though she had about three cars in her humungous garage, I liked the smell of fresh air in the morning. 

The first few lessons passed in a blur, a very boring, very slow blur. 

Because there was just one question hanging on the tip of my tongue. 

Where was Carter? 

I hadn't seen him today, and when asked around, was told that he hadn't been seen anywhere. 

He wasn't at school, which wasn't good. I needed him here, I needed to see him. His absence made me edgy and anxious. 

"What's with the scars?" Logan sneered at me at recess as Ivy and I walked near him. I looked at him with a scowl on my face. "Run into a door or something?" 

"Yeah, 'cause I was too busy laughing at your ugly face." I said back, hearing mutters from Ivy that sounded like "ooh, burn." 

Oh god, what a lame comeback. 

"I think it looks hot." Douglas said, standing behind Logan and licking his lips as he looked at me. 

Gross. I laughed bitterly. "Keep it in your pants, asshole." I sniggered. 

It turned out that Carter was right; there were a lot of people who actually wanted to talk to me. Eliza was, just like Carter, nowhere to be seen today, so most of them came up and said hello.

I met so many people. There was Kimmy, the one on the school newspaper, Hayley, the singer, Joey, she left-wing on Carter's football team, Selena, the reader and Fanny and Fiona, the twins. Nearly all of them, after saying hello ad introducing themselves, asked what had happened to my nose, in which I casually replied that I had run into a wall, half stealing the idea off Logan. 

"Smooth," Ivy commented as Selena walked away, grabbing me and steering us both towards the canteen line. 

"Well, I wasn't going to tell her the truth." I murmured, what was I supposed to say?

"Yeah, but the truth would've been better than that. Now the whole school will be laughing at you." She picked up her tray at the same time I did, and I frowned at her.

"Why wouldn't they be laughing already? I have a crater on my nose." I said, trying to look at the band-aid on my face, but going cross-eyed in the process. She chuckled at my expression.