Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Three Words: Carter Freaking Jard

"Can I come in?" Carter asked after my tears had finally run dry.

I sniffed and wiped my eyes with jacket he had given to me to wear. "I guess." I said hoarsely, trying to clear my throat quietly, grimacing as I felt raw pain. "But it's not my house."

He shrugged. "I don't think she'll mind, right?"

That made me scoff. "She won't mind at all, her 'rents might." My mind flashed to Ivy's mother. Imagine if a gorgeous sixteen year old just bounded into your house unrepentantly. Yeah, I'd be a little freaked out as well.

"Okay, I'll just walk you to the door, then." He took his hands out the pockets of his jeans. "It's getting pretty late, anyways."

Checking the time on my phone quickly, I couldn't help but laugh. "It's 8:30!" I told him. "On a Friday! You sound like an old man!"

Raising one eyebrow, he asked. "Do I look like an old man?"

"Nah- oh wait." I narrowed my eyes. "I think I see a grey hair!"

He gasped. "There is not!" He said, raking his hands through his messy hair, as dark as the night enfolded around us. "Is there?"

Laughing again, I shook my head. "I was kidding!"

"Oh . . . I knew that." He said a bit shakily, trying his best to smooth it over, he smiled cockily and gestured towards the house. "Shall we?"

"We shall." I smiled back.

Whoa, I was smiling?

Wow, was that because of Carter?

As we started to strollup the winding path, we got closer and closer, erupting the coldness of the air with our body heat, warm next to one another. He was quiet, just breathing deeply like me. I wondered if he could hear my heart, honestly, who couldn't? It was thumping against my ribcage with the strength of a jack-hammer.

Our hands brushed once, twice, lightly, and I just couldn't help myself. I clasped onto his hand, which was actually quite chilly, and held onto it firmly.

Carter gave me a little grin and squeezed my hand gently, causing my heart to pound louder.

Right then, it didn't matter that I had no home to go back to, no family to call my own, a scar on my nose as a constant reminder I was a disgrace and bloodshot eyes. Nothing, none of that mattered.

All that mattered was him, Carter.

He made me smile, he made me laugh, he made me feel better. He was everything I needed.

Is this what love felt like? I thought, a little shocked. Am I falling in love?

Am I in love with Carter Jard?

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" He asked quietly, his voice a hushed whisper in the silence we had made. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts, and looked over to him.

"I'm a tough nut." I smirked. "No need to worry."

"But I am worried." He stopped to face me, we were on the porch now, but still held my hand in his. "You know I can go over there, right? I can go give Barney a ta-"

"No, Carter." I interrupted him. "Just let it go."

"Let it go?!" He exclaimed. "He punched you, Lily, there's a law against that!"