Chapter 5: The Lone Warrior

Trunks POV:

"Actually I'm not from here."

"What do you mean?" She wiped her forehead with the towel. The wind breathed. "You're right here.."

I face palmed. "Not that silly. I'm not from this time. I'm from the future."

She stare with confused look.

"From my earliest memories, Vegeta was already dead. Piccolo, Kuririn, and the other Z Fighters were defeated in the battle with 17 and18, the artificial humans that Doctor Gero had made. The Androids. Goku died from a heart virus that time, so I guess it was hopeless. I didn’t even know my father’s face. This was because there wasn’t even a single picture of my father in my house. I don’t know if there weren’t any originally, or if they burned when 17 and18 attacked Capsule Corporation. I thought about asking my mother Bulma about my father countless times, but it didn’t feel manly to do so, so I never asked." The wind blew a faint breeze.

"Death became such a common thing there in the future that I even got used to it when I was very young. Everyone locked their sorrow deep within their hearts and picked their words carefully, not having the composure to drag that out. In order to make a new future for humanity, I went to the world of the past."

"Wait, can't you wish back Goku? Or everyone?" Anger was written on her face.

"You can't wish a person back because that's a natural cause and Piccolo was dead."

She grunted.

"Several years passed. Wanting to defeat the artificial humans no matter what, I trained with Gohan every day. Even in the midst of training, as usual my objective was my father, who would float into my mind. Once I managed to catch up with my father and see his face, then surely I would be able to defeat 17 and 18. Somewhere in my heart, I believed this baseless thing. At the time, I was irritated at myself for being unable to become a Super Saiyan, no matter how hard I tried."

"What happened next I can’t forget, even though I want to. My insides feel as if they were being pressed with a hot branding iron, and the feeling won’t go away. Even now, when much time has passed, it still aches sometimes." I looked at Ana, she had a worried look.

"With a thunderous roar, the area was enveloped in a terrific flash of light, and as it lasted there was smoke and explosions here and there. The Androids had come again to attack the city. I wanted to follow Master Gohan to defeat the Androids. Though I cried this desperately, Gohan answer was a karate chop that he brought down upon my neck.

In my dimming consciousness, I thought that I heard

Trunks you are the last hope..

By the time I regained consciousness, everything was over. The moment I saw Gohan's corpse lying stretched out in a pool of blood screams and anger and frustration and tears swelled up in my body like a surging wave. Like a switch, fire ran up my entire body. My muscles trembled, and my blood vessels burned.When it felt like all of my blood exploded at once, I became a Super Saiyan for the first time."

"The screams of those attacked by 17 and 18 echoed in my mind, but I repressed my impatient heart and absorbed myself in training. I could only think about becoming strong, becoming strong, becoming strong.

Oddly, when I began training on my own, I felt that the distance between my and the image of father that floated in my mind shrunk immensely. I took this as proof that I was doubtlessly doing things correctly. As for my mother Bulma, it seemed that she intended to finish the time machine and send me into the past.

However, I was secretly intent on defeating 17 and 18 on my own. I was too naive.

On the day mother finished the time machine, I was fought with the Androids and was severely beaten. It was nothing short of a miracle that I returned alive. When I regained consciousness in the hospital bed, my mother glared at me angrily.

..Really, trying to fight them all alone no matter what; you’re just like your father!!

Then she shed two tears. My mother, who was always strong and hardy. Immediately after my injuries healed, I resolved to ride the time machine. My goal was 20 years in the past. My objective was to give Son Goku his medicine, allowing him to survive.

Before taking off, wishing for my journey’s success I wrote “HOPE!!” on the time machine. This was the hope from Gohans words.. The last hope.. With mother’s reassuring words, I entered the time machine. And here I am.

3 years from now, on May 12 at 10:00 A.M. near South City, two Red Ribbon Androids will appear. I came to give the antitode to Goku, also to earn my fathers love.."

Ana broke the silence by placing a hand and hugged me.

Poor kid... Life would be hard for him. He lived in a apocalyptic world, full of danger and paranoia.