Chapter 12

"RACHEL," I could hear Baylor's sob scream out. Pain quivered within his voice and I could only imagine what his dark blue eyes looked like. "Please come back to me," He whimpered softly. I couldn't feel anything. I tried to lift an arm, but it was no use. It took what seemed like forever for me to come back to my senses. I couldn't lift anything, but I could now hear my surroundings. 

        "How is she doing?" My dad's panicked voice rung out.

        "Rach." Jake's voice was soft and timid. I could now feel someone holding me, while another gently stroked my arm. I tried to move, to talk, to scream and yell I was okay, but I couldn't. This is a nightmare, I can hear everyone talking and I want to respond, but I can't. I can't move, or scream, and I'm scared. 

        "She should come to soon, just have patience." I could hear my step-mothers soft voice. I felt warm water trickle down my neck, and it took me a moment to realize the person holding me was crying in my neck. Baylor's whimper's were suddenly louder when I realized it was him who was holding me. I wanted nothing more to sit up and hold him tightly. I coughed slightly, water spewing everywhere. Baylor sat back up and looked at me, his blue eyes much darker than usual. 

        "Rachel.." His soft voice whimpered.

        "Are you all right?" Jake asked from beside me with a worried look. I shook lightly realizing how cold I felt. My hair was no longer soaking wet, but slightly damp. How long had I been out? Jake continued to lightly rub my arm soothingly while Baylor held me close. 

        "I-I think so." I croaked quietly. My voice was hoarse and it burned to talk. I rested my head on Baylor's chest with a shaky sigh. Why couldn't I be a better swimmer? I knew Luke hadn't meant to do any of that, he was fourteen. My breathing felt off and it hurt in my lungs when I did. I coughed once and it turned into an anxiety attack. It had been awhile since I'd had one of these, and it was the first time I had one around Baylor. At first he freaked and didn't know what to do until Jake kissed my forehead and began to pet my hair. Baylor caught on and started gently rocking me back and forth while Jake continued to comb his fingers through my hair. Eventually I calmed down enough and listened to Baylor's heartbeat and Jake's voice. I held Jake's left hand while his thumb gently grazed across mine soothingly. 

        "I'm so tired." I said quietly. Baylor left a small kiss on the top off my head. 

        "Go to sleep Rach." Baylor smiled down at me.  I nodded feeling slightly dizzy.

        "Don't let her sleep," My step-mom warned.  "She could possibly go into a coma."  She said softly. 

       "We need to get her inside," My dad instructed making Jake move aside and let go of my hand. I pouted with a yawn, sleep begging to let itself over take my body. "I'll take her." My dad said watching Baylor struggle to get up and carry me. My dad leaned down and picked me up with ease. I wrapped my arms around his neck and sighed softly. 

        "I'm so sorry." I whimpered thinking of my little siblings and how they felt. 

        "Why, it wasn't your fault," My dad stated sounding a little annoyed. "It's your mother's for not teaching you to swim while she had you." He snapped angrily. I didn't like my mother very much, but something snapped within me. She maybe annoying and rude, but hating on her wouldn't make my dad any better. In fact, it made him look just as bad as her. 

        "I can walk," I attempted to allow myself to get free from his grasp. When it didn't loosen I could feel tears form in my eyes making my vision blurry. "Let me go!" I exclaimed as loudly as my voice would let me. Normally I'd be able to sound more stable and secure, but after nearly drowning and dying it was kind of hard. 

        "Rachel, what's wrong?!" My dad asked completely worried. 

        "I thought you were different!" I squeaked still squirming as much as I could. Now I know what you're thinking, I'm being dramatic. I know I'm being dramatic, but honestly I was so sick of constantly having my parents talk bad about each other. I was almost lifeless and limp in my dads arms, and he chooses then to talk bad about my mom. Yeah, I hate her too, but if my daughter was weak and limp I wouldn't blame it on her. It wasn't her fault I chose to stay inside. 

        "Let me go," I said as stern as I could possibly muster up. My dad set me down and stood with his arms out to make sure I didn't fall, like you do with a baby that's just learned to walk. "I'll leave as soon as I can drive again." Where was I going to go? Don't ask me, I didn't even know. I was too angry and upset to really think at the moment. Don't forget I had nearly died just then too. 

        "Rach..." Luke was at my side.

        "I'm so sorry-" I didn't even get to hear the rest. My mind was being fogged up and I was dizzy. The sand beneath my feet seemed to become the sea itself. Gravity became stronger and tried to get me to collapse. 

        "Not," I said breathlessly. "Your," I couldn't give up now, he needed to know it wasn't his fault I couldn't swim. I fell to my knees gasping for air. "Fault." I finished while my vision became blurred. I couldn't see, I had three friends, I couldn't breathe, my parents were fakes, my step-dad hit me, Baylor was suddenly attractive, Jake is attractive, Luke feels like my idiocy is his fault, and to top it all of I now have a ferret lady living next door. Looks like I may never get to meet her and her ferrets if I keep pushing myself, but I needed to get away from everyone. I needed a break. 

        "Rachel calm down!" My step-mom tried to soothe.

        "I can't!" This may not have been a good time to realize my life sucks. Or to realize I had been battling depression and anxiety for years while denying it all at the same time. 

        "I can't stay calm anymore, I can't just be all right like everyone expects with nothing is going right, it's all going down and I can't do anything to fix it!" It all went silent. My hands hit the warm sand while the sun hit my back. No one made a sound, not even the seagulls. The only sound made was the waves in the back. They roared loud, yelling at me for getting so violent. That's when I began to cry. I didn't just cry because my life sucked, but because here I was in Florida while other kids all around were suffering way worst. I stared at the ground for a moment letting the silent tears hit the ground. I didn't feel angry anymore, I didn't feel sad, I didn't happy that's for damn sure. Instead, I felt broken. Every part of me was worn down and ripped apart. I prayed my siblings never saw me break down, I hoped they would never be like this. That's why I needed to get away. I felt someones hand on my shoulder and jumped. When I looked over Baylor's dark eyes stared into mine. I expected him to shake his head like he always did when I had done something wrong, but instead he just helped me up. He wrapped and arm around my waist to keep me stable, and started to help me walk. Jake was soon at my other side to keep balance. He wrapped an arm around the lower part of my waist and helped. We made it to the door before I started wheezing. 

        "After you get some rest, we'll head back." Jake announced. Luke silently agreed. 

        "I'll go with." Baylor announced. 

        "What about our tour?" Jake raised an eyebrow. 

        "I think WE have something a little more important to take care of." Baylor emphasized. I blushed softly and shook my head.

        "I'm so sorry." I barely said above a whisper. 

        "Don't be, you're the closest thing I have and I'm not going to just watch it crumble apart in front of me." Baylor snapped. I nodded not wanting to say anything more. When I looked over at Jake he only nodded in agreement. 

        "Now let's get you rested and fed before we head out." Jake said before taking my waist again.