Chapter 10

I woke up to my dad lightly shaking me. His long blonde hair that swept to the side was slightly damp, and his matching baby blue eyes stood out among the dark. I could hear birds chirping and knew exactly what he was getting me up for. The sun hadn't started to rise yet, giving me time to shower, and get dressed. After I threw on my shorts, my chemical romance tank top, black vans, and beanie. I slid out my door careful not to make any noises. When I felt around for the railing I decided it was best to just slide down instead of walk down the stairs. My feet hit the floor with a thud. I stood for a moment, listening to see if anyone heard me. Only my dad who had already been awake shook his head and grabbed his long board. I followed him into the fairly large three door garage. When we walked out into the garage I searched the wall of multiple long boards, penny boards, snow boards (for when he left for work,) surfboards, and finally skateboards. I grabbed mine from one of the lower racks and smiled at it. It had been quite some time since I had last gone for a ride. 

        "Ready?" My dad asked by the garage door opener. I nodded as he pushed the button. The garage door opened allowing the warm, fresh, Florida breeze to hit my face. I walked out and stood in the circle drive for a moment while my dad walked out and re-closed the door. He trudged over to me, and I let my board down. That's when we took off together. Normally dad's and their daughters will go for ice cream, to the mall, or even hang out at the park. But when your dad does these things professionally for a living, things aren't always normal. We rode in silence for a bit, enjoying each others company and the new light that was rising. I didn't have to talk to him to know where we were going. We made our way to the black fence that guarded this area and he punched in a code that opened them. We skated out and I had to stop so he could close them back up. I looked around me at the beautiful scenery and smiled. This place would never get old. My dad skated right by me snapping me out of my thoughts. I quickly tossed my board back down and caught up to him.

        "You get better each time, if only we could do this more often like we used too." He shook his head making me feel complete guilt. 

        "I'm sorry." I admitted trying to think of ways I could do this more often.

        "Why, it isn't your fault." He pointed out leaving us back to our silence, but this time it was bit more awkward. The tension in the relationship between my mom and dad wasn't great in the first place, and when they divorced it certainly wasn't any better. My dad and I finally made it to the little diner we normally rode to for breakfast when I came up. The sun was nearly up now, but not enough to wake everyone up. My dad ordered his usual, coffee with biscuits and gravy. Meanwhile I got my usual, apple juice with biscuits and gravy. See this diner wasn't any old diner that you see in movies, it had the best biscuits and gravy my dad and I had ever had. That's how the entire trips began in Florida. Him and I had always had this cute place we'd ride to in Alabama, but when he left to Florida we couldn't find anywhere. That is, until we came upon this little place. 

        "Dad?" I asked after we had ordered. 

        "What's up?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows. I looked down at the neon colored green table that sat between us. 

        "What do you think about Jake?" I asked looking back up at him to see his reaction. He only shrugged.

        "I think he's cool, but Amanda's not." I sat realizing why she had invited Baylor. She was unsure of Jake, so she invited Baylor to be able to compare them. 

        "Oh..." I trailed finally catching on. He laughed softly shaking his head, and adjusting the grey beanie. 

        "He skates." I said knowing that'd grasp his attention.

        "Oh really? I guess I'll have to take him and Baylor for a skate later then." I nodded softly hoping my dad wouldn't say anything stupid, or Baylor. They both knew some pretty dangerous information. What my dad knew Baylor didn't, what Baylor knew my dad didn't. 

        "Here's your breakfast, enjoy your meal." The waitress handed us our food and drinks. Another good thing about this place, service was fast. 

        "But it's lunch time." My dad said sarcastically making me laugh and roll my eyes. The waitress only looked confused and walked away. After eating and catching up, my dad and I began our ride back. By this time the sun was fully out and I could feel the Florida heat. 

        "Maybe while you guys go skate, I'll take the younger two down to the beach  to give Amanda some alone time." 

        "Sounds like a good idea to me." When we got back to the fence Baylor's truck was waiting to get in. 

        "Did he drive all night?!" I asked getting off my board. When I ran up to his truck he gave me a sleepy wave, while my dad opened the gates. 

        "I drove all night." He yawned with a stretch, clearly proud of himself. 

        "Looks like I'll just take Jake skating later." My dad chuckled and threw his board in the back of Baylor's truck. He took mine and did the same before I hopped in the back.

        "Nah dad, I'll just take an hour nap and go with you guys." Bay smiled.

        "You sure?" My dad raised an eyebrow. 

        "Yeah." He shrugged and started to drive. 

        "I'm amazed you remembered how to get here." I laughed and rolled down the window. 

        "I'm not that clueless." Baylor laughed along with my dad. We pulled in and Baylor got out quickly to meet my little sister who had been dying to see him. She jumped into his arms and wrapped her little arms tightly around his neck. When he knelt down, he gave my little brother a fist bump and smile. I smiled at them and realized how amazing Baylor really is. He stood up to the give me a hug with my little sister on his hip. Jake walked out and gave Baylor a bro hug when Bay let go of me. 

        "If you guys don't mind we're going to go skating after Baylor's power nap." My dad said.

        "That's fine." Jake nodded with a grin. 

        "I'll take the younger ones, including Luke to the beach." I laughed softly along with the others. 

        "Can I nap with you?" My sister looked up at Baylor and pouted.

        "I guess so." He gave in with a smile.