Chapter Six

I was sprawled out across my bed staring up at the ceiling. I could feel my heart beating against my chest. This was weird because I never felt my heart the way I did now. It was unusual and made me wanna go insane. This wasn't love although I wouldn't know because I've never been but I knew that things were too fresh for that. I just wanted to know what it was, I just wanted answers.

My stomach rumbled a bit. I sat up and made my way out the room toward the kitchen . David was sitting at the table reading a newspaper intensely. Mom looked as though she was on her way out and Thurston was sitting on the counter eating an apple.

"Hey guys." I flatly said

Different responses filled the room. I peered over at Thurston and he had a sly smirk behind the apple he was eatting. I could feel my face get hot and attempted to restrain a persistant smile. Apparently David noticed too. He tilted the edge of his newspaper and peered at us suspiciously

"Come on Thurston." Mom called out grabbing her keys, " Honey we'll be right back ... Just gonna get some table cloths for the party."

When she said 'honey' , it was hard to tell whether she was talking to me or David. Oh, and how could I forget about this New Years party. A black and white theme I might add; ironically. 

I was left in the kitchen with David awkwardly . It was almost as awkward as having an ex boyfriend and a current boyfriend in the same room as you. Just as I was expecting, David cleared his throat nosily. Quickly I picked up an orange and tried to make my way out the kitchen.

"Kymberlee!" David called

I stopped and rocked back and forth on my heels. Oh I hate talking to this man.

"Yeah?" I turned around                  

He was standing before me with a distress look on his face as if he was in pain.

"What?" I said becoming increasingly frustrated by his lack of words

"How was your day with Thurston?" He questioned

My heart dropped and I'm pretty sure my face did as well. I had to think of something to say and quick before David could confirm anything from my silence .

"I was in s-school." I stammered, rubbing my arm "My sources say otherwise." He smiled

I placed all my weight on my left leg and drew in a sharp breath.

"I can see you don't believe me. Would you like me to pinpoint your exact locations or show you pictures?"

"No." I faintly said

"Now your mom doesn't know because well Kym I care about you... Care enough to tell you that dealing with my son is not only scandalous but also not good for you." His face turned serious

Urgh, here we go ; the dramatics.

"Its not like that ." I assured him

"Maybe not for you but Kymberlee he is without a doubt ; my son ; and I know things about him that he isn't even aware of himself... I see the way he looks at you and its the same way I look at your mother. If he's not in love he's getting there." He ran his fingers through his hair

"Love." I scoffed

"Yes, it exists." David smiled

I looked at him and he looked back. What was I gonna do. Break up with Thurston? We aren't even a real couple. Tell him that we need to stop this. What was 'this'? There were just too many gaps that weren't filled in .

Headlights from a car shined in the window.

"Here's your chance. Now or never." He laughed              

"Thanks." I sarcastically sneered

" And even though he's my son, your in a way, my daughter . Its my job to protect the both of you, even from each other. Trust me you'll thank me in the long run or ask God why you didn't listen." He touched my shoulder and headed upstairs

I took some breaths and womaned up. I opened the door at the same time mom was on the last step.

"Hey Hon, where's David?" She rushed through the door

"Upstairs." I answered her but stared at Thurston slowly approaching the house

"Great, I wanna show him these black and white tablecloths."

I closed the door slowly behind me as she went on about her business and I had to end mine.

"Hey." Thurston smiled brightly

He lightly grabbed my waist and kissed my cheek.

"Your mom is hilarious, you know what... What's wrong."

"Nothing." I shook my head

"Well you don't look too happy." He observed

There was silence. I stared off into the cold abyss in the opposite way of Thurston. It was hurting me that he was so concerned about me when he should be concerned with himself.

"Did my dad say something to you?" He asked

"No... What.. What are we, like what are we doing."

He stared into my face with a blank expression, thinking of what to tell me.

"Having fun I guess... You didn't say you wanted to be in a relationship, you know cause of the whole Keeyon thing... I just thought ... I don't know." He babbled uncontrollably

Why is he acting like this? Its just making everything harder .

"Well whatever , 'this' ", I guestured to the both of us , " is , it needs to be stopped."

I looked back at him and now he was looking away from me. He didn't look hurt or angry or anything really .

"I'm So-"

"Okay." He abruptly said

Thurston made his way past me and into the house. I was left there Standing in the cold. I felt stupid, but Thurston probably felt worse . Why must things be so complicated . Although I'd rather be asking that then asking God why didn't I listen. And to David for that matter .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo What'd you think? Tell me your thoughts ! I care ! I wanna know !

I totally appreciate all of those who make it their business to comment, vote and follow, it means the world to me.

But Regarding the story... What was that about.? What did David mean ? What does the future hold for Kymberlee and Thrust on? What makes Kymberlee's mom so funny ???? Maybe you guys will find out next time on the next DragonBall Z ....