Chapter Twenty-four

"Thurston has a great sense of timing." Mom laughed sarcastically

We sat at a table back in the room to continue the reception.

"Right." I smiled foolishly

"I can see that you're happy."

"I am."

"Im happy for you too. Just make sure that he sticks around." She sternly said

"I will."

"I'm serious, Kymberlee . Sit him down and talk about the ins and outs . Don't hold back, don't pull any punches."

"I won't ." I responded

"I hope not. I would hate to see you hurting again."

And those were her last words

Mom had gotten up and began to mingle with the other guests. Everything seemed to be going so gracefully and I was thankful for that.

From the corner of my eye I could see Crissie coming in my direction . I made It seem as though I was oblivious to her approach.  

"Hey." She smiled, one hand on my shoulder, the other holding onto her clutch

"Hey." I smiled

"So, how are things?" She took a seat next to me

"Things are good for now." I stared ahead absentmindly

"For now?" Crissie repeated

I turned my head to look at her. "Nothing is promised and I can't predict the future. I'm just worried about the here and the now."

"Well.. If it helps, I think you guys are gonna be okay."

I smiled at her without saying another word. I hope that Crissie was right. My heart, brain, body and soul couldn't take much more .

"Here comes your man." Crissie announced

I peered over to the right and saw Thurston come into the reception hall with David whose arm was draped around Thurston's shoulder in an affectionate way. It made me happy to see that they were finally getting along .

David patted Thurston's shoulder and gave me a wink as he separated from Thurston to reunite with mom .

"Hey beautiful." Thurston kissed my cheek

"Hey handsome." I whisphered with delight                                   

"Cris." He flatly acknowledged his sister

"Thurst ." she replied with the same "enthusiasm"

Thurston was close to my side. Our hands were intertwined for all to see. I noticed a few glares and stares and eye pops. Although, it didn't bother me. We weren't blood, as far as we knew we were complete strangers . On top of that it didn't matter what others thought. No matter what anyone does someone is always judging.

"You guys have the spotlight, quite the couple." Crissie took a sip of her wine    

"Wonderful." Thurston gave my hand a little squeeze

I squeezed back. As long as I had him by my side everything was going to be fine.                             

*                  *                 *                  *                  *

Back at the house, everything was pleasant . David and mom were drunk and in love, Crissie came back to the house for vacation from college so she was relaxed and me and Thurston... well we were up to our old shenanigans.

"Where's my blunt.?" I growled

I checked every drawer, look under all my pillows, I nearly destroyed my room.

"You don't think my mom found it do you ?" I paniced, on the floor, looking underneath the bed again

"Nah." He shrugged

The click of a lighter caught the attention of my ears. I stopped searching and stood up to my feet .

Thurston had my blunt hanging from his mouth and the flame from the lighter on it .                       

"Is that my blunt?"

He smirked. The lit blunt dangling between his curled lips.

"Mary Jane -"

"Don't you Mary Jane me. You know I hate when you take my shit ."

"Didn't you ever learn to share in kindergarten ?" He sighed, passing me the blunt

"Sharing wasn't really my thing." I took a puff

He gave me that sideways smirk and grabbed my waist, pulling me into him. He began kissing my neck, trailing down to my chest. His right hand reach up for the zipper of my dress to pull it down. I placed down the blunt and attended to him.

I pushed him back on to the bed and slipped off my heels.

"Daddy's home." He smiled

I climbed on top of him. "Bite me." I blew the smoke into his face .