Life's Game Chapter 2

My day drags on and on. I move from class to class and listen to teachers talk about shit that isn't going to help me further on in life. Even though I hated this school, I made sure I kept my grades up. I really wanted to graduate and get the hell out. Finally the bell rings, I rush to my locker and grab my stuff. I was so ready to leave. I was so annoyed. While I waited at the bus stop, I see a group of boys approaching. I knew at least one was bound to talk to me. This is why i hated being "pretty". I wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone. " Hey sexy, can I get your number?" , the ugliest out of all them comes up and asks. The others just stand staring waiting for my reaction. "No, i'm fine," I reply. His friends automatically start laughing. "Fuck you, dumb bitch!" he yells while walking away. I had bruised his ego. All his friends were drop dead gorgeous but him ugly inside and out. Regardless I wouldn't have given my number to anyone of them. I refused to date a hood boy. I needed someone who wanted to leave the ghetto as much as I did. I needed someone to keep me on the right track.

As I reach my apartment I can tell my mom has one of her "boyfriends" over, there's a sock on the door Usually I would go to the library or get some food but I was in such a bad mood I needed my bed. I opened the door and rushed to my room but before I could reach my room door, one of my mom's newest sugar daddy exits the kitchen. He looks shocked. I hurriedly enter my room and slam the door. I couldn't stay here, I need to go. I called my manager and picked up an extra shift. As soon as I graduated I planned on getting my own place. All the money I earned and the monthly allowance my mom gave me went to my savings.I was determined. I changed into my work uniform and ran to the door. I wanted to leave before they started fucking.

As soon as I arrived to work, I was kept busy. It was a busy day and customers came in and out. By the end of my shift I was exhausted. As I waited at the bustop I dreamt of my bed. Finally the bus came and I got on. The local crackheads and bums were drugged out, riding the bus for warmth. I whispered a silent prayer for them and myself. After getting off the bus I run upstairs to our apartment and head straight to the shower. As I passed my mom's room I see her getting ready for her shift at the club and her new daddy sprawled out on the bed. That was weird she usually kicked them out after they were done. I didn't question it further as the warm water settled my nerves and I slipped into a sense of relaxation.

"Kayla,Im leaving," my mom yells before she closes the door. I get up to lock the door and her mystery guy is still there sleeping. I was shocked. She's never done this before. So much questions ran through mind, who is this guy? Why is he still here? Is he dangerous?. I walked back to my room and called my best friend Jacob to come over. I wasn't comfortable being in the house with a man I didn't know. That was the problem with my mother she wasn't inquisitive, she did not pass judgement, she was so trusting. She behaved like a child instead of an adult. She probably just picked this guy up and now he's in our house, alone with me. I wish she would mature a bit. I'm so tired of being the adult and parent in this house. I was emotionally drained, mentally fatigued, I just couldn't take it. I began to cry as I thought about my life. As much as most of my problems were my mom's fault I could never blame her. She didn't want to live her life like this but she had no options. I know shes regretful of the fact that she hasn't given me the best life, but I respect her for trying. As soon as I finish that thought Jacob comes walking through the door. He sees me crying and runs over to hug me. He lays next to me and just lets me cry in his arms. That's all I needed at this point. Some support. He didn't say anything but his hug said it all. I really appreciated having him as a friend. That night I fell asleep feeling secure about my future.