Chapter VII

• Dedicated to Fluff

        “So kids are smoking, drinking, and blowing up whatever resources we have at our disposal.”

        “Yeah, and it’s only a matter of time before a bunch of kids get hurt because of someone else’s stupidity,” said Rose grabbing a tub of ice cream from the freezer, and stuffing her face with spoonfuls of creamy deliciousness that tantalized her taste buds. 

        “This is escalating slightly faster than I thought it would,” said Matt between lapses of stuffing ice cream into his own mouth.

        “We’re going to need to stock up more than ever,” said Jacob, grabbing a spoon and stuffing his own mouth.

        “I’m going out with you guys next time. We have enough helpers here, that I can leave, and feel comfortable with , without worrying,” Matt said looking down and noticing that the ice cream was already gone.

        “You know, I got that tub of ice cream for me, not you. Plus, now, I’m still hungry and there is no more ice cream left in the freezer,” said Rose making a pouty face.

        “You can eat more, later, right now, we’re going to go out and bring back more food, in which I will let you take back as much ice cream as you want. We’ve only got about a week and a half’s worth of food, and we’re going to need more.”

        “Shouldn’t that last us until the adults get here?”

        “Rose… don’t you think that the government would have been here by now if they could have. I mean, with all those satellites, and technology, I’m sure that they know what’s going on here.”

        “What are you talking about?” asked Jacob inquisitively.

        “What I am trying to say is that we don’t know to what extent the adults disappeared. For all we know, the adults could have disappeared from the entire Earth. Wed ont even know how the adults disappeared, where they went, and what happens when you turn eighteen. All the other eighteen year olds have disappeared, what happens when we come of age, will we disappear, will we die, I truly don’t know! What I do know, is that if there are adults, something must be blocking them from getting to us. Trust me, the government would be here by now, and so would our parents. Because of this, we should be ready for however long it takes to wait here, without the help of adults. ”

        “Because of this,” Matt continued, “we are going out, and getting more food, before some pot heads end up burning this whole town down.”

        Matt, Jacob and Rose got out of the house and began to head down the bustling street.

        “What’s that?” said Matt raising his head, and scanning his surroundings.

        “I smell it too,” said Rose lifting his nose to the now pitch black sky, with a few dimly shown stars.

        There was a think, acrid scent of smoke drifting around the town.

        “It’s probably just the store from earlier,” offered Jacob.

        “Didn’t you guys here? There was some freak with wings that messed with Kevin, now they’re burning down his house, I’m heading over there right now!” said a kid, Rodger, who was in my Math class.

        Three things registered in Matt’s mind; freak, wings, and Kevin.

        Freaks. The things Matt was afraid of, and yet he was relieved at the same time. If Rodger was right, it meant there were others like the Stone family. Yet, the reaction was what Matt was afraid of. Freaks.