Chapter V

• Dedicated to fluff

               Alex felt like he was plummeting in slow motion. He watched as he approached the cement steps where he would soon hit.

        As he fell downwards, face first, the wind stung his face.

        Alex felt his wings tear through his shirt, and unfurl, to full size.

        Alex had been developing his wings for about a month now.

        They began as little bumps forming underneath his skin, at the tips of his shoulder blades. They quickly grew larger, and eventually began to sprout feathers. They continued to grow, until he had a thirty foot wingspan. Luckily, just as a bird’s wings fit perfectly onto its body, Alex’s wings were able to compact and curl themselves into Alex’s back, causing it to look like there was nothing underneath his shirt.

        Anyhow, Alex unfurled his light brown wings, and began to flap them like crazy. He obviously had never had an opportunity to try flying, since you know, jumping off roofs isn’t as easy as it seems.

        Alex was flapping as fast as his wings could, but it was only enough to slow him down.

        A second before he hit the ground, he curled up and went limp, allowing him to roll of the steps.

        Alex felt a sharp pain in his shoulder; he assumed he most likely dislocated it and another along his ribcage.

        Alex looked up to see Kevin gaping open mouthed down at him.

        Alex began to limp away, as people nearby took out their phones and took pictures of him, as if he were some animal at the zoo.

        It was too late to hide his wings; his shirt had ripped through, and fallen behind. Even if he tucked his wings in, everybody could clearly see the brown feather protruding from his back.

        There were mixed reactions from the kids that saw him. Some took pictures with a look of awe on their faces. Others said that he was an angel sent from god. A selected few ran screaming that he was a mutant freak.

        Eventually, he limped all the way home, a crowd of about ten kids was following him. He was thankful to finally be able to get into the vicinity of his house, and be able to close the blinds. It was creepy to have ten kids following you around, asking you if you were a freak, or a superhero, or how you got your superpowers.

        It had started to rain, which bugged him, because it took him forever to get hid wings to dry off.

         He sat down and opened a can of coke, tasting its carbonated bubbles forming in his lips.

        He looked around to the plain white walls of the house, littered with pictures of him and his family. All of which depicted them smiling.

        Which was ironic.

       Alex never smiled, neither did his mother or father. They would eat dinner, without saying a word, they would pretend like everything was okay, when it was clearly not.

        It was all just a façade.

        He didn’t even bother checking if his parents had disappeared like the others. Alex truly couldn’t have cared less. If they had disappeared, good riddance!

        He took out a frozen quesadilla, and popped it in the microwave.

        He took out another ice pack and pushed it against his ribcage, relieving it of most of its pain.