Chapter 5

-Lola-

I’d been back home for a week now, Christmas being this weekend, and nothing had happened to regret coming back…yet. I’d managed to get my old job back, even if it was only for the month that I was there, but it got me out the house, which means me and Mike weren’t arguing all the time. Today however, was boring as hell! Nobody had come into the coffee shop, but I wasn’t allowed to leave until my shift was over, and I had nothing to talk about to the other people who worked here. They were on about college, or going back uni. I couldn’t exactly talk to them about my record deal. 1) they wouldn’t believe me, and 2) I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone.

I sighed as I watched the clock slowly tick past the hour when I heard the bell go off, telling us that we finally had a customer. Someone beat me to the counter, so I continued reading my magazine when it was ripped out my hand. “Finally! I was hoping you’d be back here!” I looked up and saw Zayn standing there, a hug smile planted on his face. I jumped from the chair and gave him a hug. “Wondered when you’d be showing up.” I laughed as I went and sat on the counter. The others were giving me evils, but I didn’t care. At least I could finally talk to someone!

“How have you been?” he asked as I made us both a cup of tea. I shrugged me shoulders. “Can’t complain.” I said as I handed him his cup. “There hasn’t been a rowing match between me and Mike…yet.” I said as I took a sip from my mug, burning my mouth in the process. “Things will get better.” He said as he put his arm round my waist and pulled me into a hug.

We sat there in silence until I thought of something.  I was about to ask him when he beat me to it. “Why haven’t you been answering your phone?” I looked at him confused. “Oh, I kinda lost it.” I mumbled. He turned to look at me. “You lost it. You’ve been back a week, and you’ve lost your phone?” he asked. I got off of the counter to look at him properly. “Well, I say lost it. I’m kinda guessing that Mike’s taken it when I left it in my room sometime.” I said as I took another sip of my tea, this time not burning my mouth and throat. “You think he took you’re phone?” he asked. I shrugged. “Wouldn’t surprise me.”

I saw a small frown forming on his brow, I stayed quiet until he was ready to say something. “When’s your shift finish?” he asked. I looked at my watch. “Bout 10 minutes.” I smiled as I realised that the time hadn’t gone as slowly as I thought it had. “Well then, what you wanna do?” I shrugged. “We could just go to the park or something.” But Zayn shook his head. “Zayn Malik remember.” He gave me cheeky smile. “I’m surprised I even managed to get out the house.” I rolled my eyes as I heard the bell go off.

I was about to ask them what they wanted when they hit Zayn in the back. “Oi, what was that for!?” he said as he turned round and the biggest smile was on his face. “You just disappeared, and I wanted to know where you’d gone.” The girl said. “Saffa, it’s my one chance to get out the house…” “And you decide to find some girl and chat her up.” I started laughing then.

“Sorry.” I mumbled as I turned around and put mine and Zayn’s mug in the sink to wash up. “Saf, she’s not just some girl.” I heard him say. “She’s gonna be as famous as me one day.” He whispered to his little sister. I turned round and her eye went wide. “Are you Lola?” she asked. I looked as Zayn, confusion clearly etched on my face. “Yeah, why?” Saffa smiled then. “Because Zayn mentioned the band had met someone, and for the past week he’s been playing your song over and over again.” I saw Zayn blush slightly as he looked at the floor.

“I haven’t got a song.” I said. “No,” she admitted, “But it was the demo to ‘Worlds Apart’” she smiled again as I hit Zayn in the arm. “Please tell me you didn’t take that out of my flat.” I said. he still wouldn’t look at me. “Zayn! You 5 weren’t even supposed to know, and now you little sister knows…” I trailed off and sighed. “You know what, who cares. It’s probably not gonna go anywhere.” I mumbled. Zayn took hold of my hand and led me back round the counter. “I very much doubt that.” He said as we walked out the coffee shop, me only just having time to hang up my apron.