Love isn't real, unless it is returned.

Sardinia, Italy ; 1865.

It's been one whole year since the whole Katherine thing. My brothers are dead and gone. So am I. Right now, I roam the beautiful beach on the coast of Italy. God, I miss them. My father died not long after we did. He was murdered. I read it in the newspaper.

The clothes that most of these old queens wear are not really my style so I wear the dresses that I wore back in Mystic Falls. I've already made up a cover story for myself.

My name is Gabriella Salvatore. I am sixteen years old and my family was killed in a fire. It was a tragedy. I wasn't there when it happened because I was out with my maid, shopping for dresses.

It's almost true. I do have a maid but she is more like a friend to me. Her name is Serena and she is a Bennett witch. I'm glad that I have her, though. Her and Emily did get along but Emily was burned in the church.

I liked Emily. She was a nice girl but she got caught up with Katherine Pierce and her world turned upside down. Like everyone else who gets involved with Katherine. Not the type of person you want to be around.

Serena is off on the other side of the beach. I told her that I would call her later on a device that she has made for me. It's called a cell phone or a mobile, I think. She likes to invent things for us.

I have on the purple dress that I didn't wear anywhere ever. I had just gotten it the day before the whole Katherine situation when me and my beloved brothers were killed.

The arms of the dress are puffy on my shoulders and it comes down a few inches above my elbows. I love this dress. It's very puffy all over and has ruffles but I take these dresses to a liking. My hair is curled today and it looks gorgeous if I do say so myself.

" Miss, will you excuse me?" a voice calls from behind me. I turn around to face a handsome man. He looks a little bit older than me but then again, so do most twelve year olds in Mystic Falls. The ways their mothers dress them sickens me.

" Yes?" I respond. He smiles at me and I return it and do a cursey for him and he bows. I hold out my hand to him and he takes it in his, planting a kiss on it.

" Alex Evans'. And you miss?" he says politely. I smile at him and he smiles back. He is very handsome. Did I already say that?

" Gabriella Salvatore. A Pleasure to meet you Mr. Alex," I greet him.

" The pleasure is all mine," he grins. I smile at him. Charming, handsome, tall, masculine. How much better can he get? Bet he's tasty!

" Miss.Gabriella, if you don't mind my asking, What is a beautiful girl like you doing walking around on this gigantic beach all alone?" he asks me.

I smile at him and feel my cheeks blush. Wow, I never blush. I catch him doing the same and ignore myself.

" Well you see, I'm kind of new here. My family was killed in a fire just a month ago and I have yet to find a place to stay. I don't have an escort either; I'm afraid," I explain to him.

He takes his arm and mine and walks with me. " Well we've fixed that problem. But you haven't found a place to stay and I don't want you at a bad home so how about you come meet my family? Do you have a maiden or did she... Dare I ask?"

" Yes. I have a maid her name is Serena but she's...right over there," I laugh. I smile to myself when I see her talking to a handsome man about her age with beautiful eyes.

" Well, I say that we take our carriage right about now and all three of us can go to my house. How about it?" he suggests.

" Alright," I agree. He smiles at me and I call Serena over to us. Her and Alex introduce themselves to each other and we walk off to Alex's carriage.