Chapter 18

"Hand, peanut. I need you to hold my hand so we can cross the street or we're going back to the car and getting your buggy and you can stay seated the whole day." He held out his hand to him, trying to get the toddler to cooperate without too much coercion.

Aybrum looked up at him, squinting some because the sun was in his eyes and his daddy was much taller than he was so he had to crane his neck upwards. "No, bubba."

Even though he said no, Aybrum held his hand and started tugging him along so they could enter the massive building.

A few days ago, Niall promised he'd take him to the water park if he passed on to the second level of his swim class - which he successfully succeeded in doing so.

"Good boy." He smiled down at him before they both crossed the street, and went into the building.

Aybrum was bouncing around, squealing excitedly as Niall paid their entry fee and jumped around the whole walk down the hall towards the locker rooms to change into their swim gear.

Niall could barely get Aybrum changed due to the amount of bouncing he was doing, not to mention his constant babbling about the water slides wasn't helping his patients but he eventually got the both of them changed and shuffled the giddy toddler out to the swim area.

"Alright peanut, now you need to stay with me. No running off on your own, there's loads of people here and I don't want to lose you. Stay with daddy, yeah. Can you remember that?" Niall prompted, squatting down in front of the toddler and situated his swim shorts.

He nodded, smiling widely and kept his eyes on the large water slide. "Stay bubba."

Niall kissed his cheek, standing up and grabbed his hand to lead him towards the large slide he knew the toddlers had his eyes on since the moment they pulled into the car park.
______

Aybrum was still a ball of energy by the time they got home, Niall was tired and surprised he was still able to function after the day they've had. But he fed Aybrum dinner, gave him a bath to fully wash the chlorine from his body and got him changed into pajamas.

They cuddled up in Niall's bed together, watching a Disney film and just snuggled together because it's been ages since they've just spent quality time together.

"Bubba." Aybrum whispered, flipping onto his belly and poked at Niall's exposed chest, watching his finger mush against his daddies skin.

"Aybrum." He murmured, looking at him and smiled when the toddler continued to avoid his eyes.

"Where mummy?" Aybrum questioned in a small voice, laying his head down on Niall's chest and listened to his heartbeat.

Niall's been dreading this conversation for ages, especially now that he knows Liam isn't reliable and probably never will be.

"I, um - you don't have a mummy, peanut. You know you came from my belly." He put a hand on Aybrum's head, brushing his fingers through his slightly dampened hair.

Aybrum lifted his head, furrowing his brow at him. "No bubba."

He smiled, nodding his head and pointed out the faded scar on his lower abdomen to the toddler. "See, that's where the doctor took you out." He explained, "Sometimes two daddies can make a baby and that's what happened with you, you've got two daddies instead of a mummy and a daddy."

Aybrum scooted down the bed to look at the mark and poked it hesitantly, because he didn't know if it was hurting daddy any. "Where daddy?"

Niall pulled Aybrum up beside himself, laying him down with his head rested on his arm and covered them both back up with the blanket. "Your daddy is - he rides on airplanes a lot, so he can't be here. But I know he loves you and that's all you need to know, alright."