Chapter 15

"Liam, what - why would you bring her here? You know Zayn's going to go mental, you need to leave." Niall shooed, trying to close the door but Liam was quicker and stronger.

He held the door open, keeping a firm hold on a drowsy Brooklyn. "Wait, I can explain."

"No, just go. I don't need this drama." Niall tried to close the door, but Aybrum had opened his slightly teary eyes enough to recognize who was at the door and squealed.

"Li!" Aybrum was already leaning towards Liam in Niall's arms, making him step forward some so he wouldn't drop the sudden giddy toddler.

Brooklyn realized another child was present, not liking that he was reaching for her daddy and started squirming in Liam's arms. "Papa, no. Mine papa, mine."

"Calm down, princess - it's okay. Aybrum wants to say, hi. Can you be a good girl and say, hi, too." Liam cooed, trying to soothe the fussy toddler and defuse the situation before one of them started to cry.

Niall rolled his eyes at the pet-name Liam was calling his daughter, because no doubt the toddler had it engrained in her mind that she actually was a princess - considering she probably always got what she wanted.

Brooklyn hid her pouted face against Liam's chest and ignored everyone, not wanting to interact with anyone at this point. She just wanted to sleep and stay near her papa because she's not familiar to her surroundings.

Aybrum had stopped leaning towards Liam, confused about the little girl and clutched onto the front of Niall's shirt with one of his hands as Niall adjusted him further up his hip some to make it more comfortable.

Niall had noticed Aybrum silently retract towards him. Which hurt him as a parent to see, because even at Aybrum's young age, the toddler could tell Brooklyn was clearly going to be put before him.

"I'm sorry, Liam." He paused and glanced at the little girl now hidden in his arms, "But I don't feel comfortable with her in my house. You can come back to see Aybrum on your own. Until then, I'm asking you to leave."

Liam looked at Aybrum's saddened expression, then to Niall's disappointed expression and swallowed the dry lump in his throat. "She's just a toddler, it's not her fault who her parents are. Niall I'm begging you, let us in so I can at least explain myself."

He pressed his lips into a line, taking a breath through his nose and kissed Aybrum's forehead when the toddler rested his head just below his collarbone. "Alright fine - but the first time you lie to me, you need to leave."

"I won't, I promise." Liam moved Brooklyn around to his front, holding her firmly so she wouldn't slip and kissed the side of her face as he murmured hushed words to her.

Niall tried to ignore Liam's coddling of Brooklyn and made sure Aybrum was angled away so he couldn't see them. "I need to put Aybrum back to bed, it's late."

"Bubba, Li." Aybrum whispered loud enough for only Niall to hear, still confused but wanted Liam regardless.

He looked at him, unsure of how to handle or even explain the situation. "No, peanut. I'm going to put you back in your crib. It's sleep time, yeah."

"No." He pouted, scrunching his face up.

"Yes, Aybrum. Don't tell me no, it's your bedtime." Niall carried him down the hall without another word and plopped him down in is crib, giving him kisses and left him with the nightlight on.

Even though he could hear Aybrum crying, he continued to walk away - knowing if he went back, Aybrum would be getting his way and that's not something he wanted to teach him.

He walked into the living room and found Liam on the couch with Brooklyn laid down and already sleeping in Aybrum's playpen that was in the living room, which slightly irritated him but he wasn't going to say anything.

"Liam, kitchen." He murmured, not wanting to talk in front of the sleeping toddler.

Liam checked Brooklyn before he followed Niall out of the room and into the kitchen, both moving to lean back against the counter.

"Why would you bring her here, to my house of all places?" He broke their silence, already angry at him.

"We've got a show tomorrow in London, I left early to get here and I had to take her with me. I told Zayn I was going to see my family, since they're coming to the show tomorrow and they're staying at a hotel."

"So you thought bringing her here wasn't going to piss me off? No offense to her, but I don't want her here. She's just like Zayn, I can see it. She's got you completely wrapped around her finger like he does and it's sickening." Niall slightly raised his voice, but lowered it when he remembered the sleeping child and his own son was still crying. "Aybrum is your child too, and yet he's neglected."

Liam rubbed the back of his neck, knowing what he was saying was true and he knew better than to bring Brooklyn with him but he needed to leave without Zayn sucking him back in. "I know and I'm sorry, I just -"

"No, you aren't sorry Liam. That's the thing, you aren't remorseful for not being there. You knew you had a son and you ignored it all this time, then you woke up one day and suddenly wanted to acknowledge him - but only when it's convenient for you."

"Can you let me talk for once? I'm so tired of everyone talking over me, for me and about me." Liam shouted, "I know I've made multiple bad or wrong choices, cheating on you and asking you to get that abortion was the biggest mistake of my life and I'm paying for it. Every fucking day I wake up without you, I'm paying for it. When I realize I can't just see my son whenever I want, I'm paying for it. Niall, I love you - I do, but I can't physically have you because I've fucked up time and time again. I'm trapped with a man I've never loved, because I have a daughter with him and I can't leave his sight without him manipulating our daughter into getting me to stay. I know I'm hurting you and I saw how I just hurt Aybrum, but I can't do anything. I'm stuck. So yes, I am sorry for everything I've done or am doing to the both of you."

Niall stood there in shock, trying to process everything Liam had just said because that was the type of apology he'd been waiting for all this time and now that he got it, he wasn't exactly sure how to respond or react. "Liam, I don't -"

"You don't have to say anything, I just wanted you to know that I truly am sorry for what I've done to you." He murmured this time, keeping his eyes on the flooring and crossed his arms over his chest. "I want to be on good terms with you again, I hate all the pent up animosity between us and I'd like to be able to see my son more often."

Niall silently nodded, still unaware of how to respond.

"Can I go see him?"

"Yeah, he's crying though."

Liam shrugged, uncrossing his arms and pushed his fingers through his styled hair a few times. "To be honest, it's better than not seeing him at all."

"The sea otter book he likes is sitting in the chair in his room." He murmured, watching him walk towards Aybrum's bedroom.

Niall stood in silence, listening and subconsciously smiled when he heard Liam cooing at Aybrum to calm him down and then faintly heard the two of them talking. After twenty minutes, he went to check on them and found Liam passed out in the chair with Aybrum asleep on his chest.

He grabbed the blanket from Aybrum's crib and draped it over the two of them, gently leaning down to kiss the toddlers puffy cheek and hesitantly kissed Liam's cheek as well.
_______________________________
(authors note: a lot of you assumed Niam's relationship would take severe mending, but I think Liam's big apology meant a lot to Niall and it might help their relationship progress in a more positive manour.

So many of you are questioning whether or not Brooklyn is actually Liam's child, meaning you all assume Zayn cheated and wanted to trap Liam so he lied about Brooklyn being Liam's biological daughter. I might have to address that soon..

p.s. please, please take a second to follow me on twitter -> @zmelec <- If you follow me and tweet me saying you're from wattpad, I'll follow you back there!

Comment, comment, comment!!!)