23

Fallon fell silent and walked ahead of Hawk losing him in the brush. She didn't feel the need to explain herself anymore. The mention of such holy words lit a fire of hatred in her so bad that she felt like she could grow claws and rip all the holy scrolls to shreds. What kind of Divine being leaves his children to die in such a place as this? She heard a twig snap from behind her and before she could turn to see who it was, they took her roughly in their arms, "HAWK!" She screamed.

"Oho!" I wouldn't do that, Cousin." Benedict spoke into her ear, his deep tone almost sounding like a growl. "Listen, I am willing to forgive you for throwing me down the stairs, crashing your house on top of me and leaving me to track you down as long as you give me what I want." He bargained, gripping a fighting Fallon in his arms.

"I don't have what you want." She struggled in his arms. Hawk came running towards them, Faris following close behind, growling ferociously. "Let her go!" Hawk took out his large hunting knife, ready to slice the evil man before him.

"One wrong move from you or that mongrel behind you and she's dead!" Ben threatened.

Hawk halted his stance, making sure that Faris stayed behind him. The light gray wolf paced back and forth, waiting for the signal from his master. "That device, give it to me." He demanded.

"That is what this is about?" Hawk shook his head. "You traveled over the barrier just to steal a device that was made from kitchen items?!" He rolled his eyes and glanced at Fallon who nodded to him. "All of that drug money and you can't hire someone to make it for you?"

"Shut up! just give it to me or your sweet little sister's blood will water the grass!" He threatened.

"She's your family too. Are you seriously going to tell me that killing her won't be on your conscience?"

Fallon sneaked a hand to her belt, Hawk refused to glance down as she quickly pulled her blade out and stabbed the man in the leg. Thankfully, the knife to her throat dropped and Faris lunged at Ben, his teeth dripping with thirst. Fallon and Hawk ran deeper into the woods, Faris wasn't far behind as they left the scene. Benedict was left bleeding on the ground, his blood watering the grass beneath him. He took the knife that she had jammed into his leg and slowly pulled it out. He winced from the pain and the wound bled profusely as he tried to stand.

Pilot came to find him, bleeding all over the place, "I cannot leave you alone for one second, can I? "He shook his head. "Why is it every time I turn my head you end up bleeding from somewhere?"

"Shut up, Pilot. Help me up!"

"Okay, crybaby." He pulled the hulking man up from the ground and looked at his leg wound. "Who did this, then?" He asked.

"Fallon."

"Oh..." Pilot shrugged. "I'm pretty sure you deserved it." Ben fumed at the words that had come from his friend's mouth. "What did you just say to me?"

"Oh, yeah. I forgot you landed on your head back there when you climbed Desolate's wall. You deserved it!" he shouted into his ear. "We are here all because you want to track down a damn device you don't even have the rights to."

"It's much more than that, I want Fallon." He seethed. Pilot saw the pure raging fury in his friend's eyes. It was sad really, Pilot only stayed with Ben this long in the hopes of his kind friend returning to him, but he saw no trace of that old friend. Pilot sighed, "I can't let you do that."

"What? are you going to defend your little girlfriend?" He asked. "You fancy her, dumbass? She will never get the hint."

"You may hate her, but I don't. I know the reasons why she treats you the way she does and I for one agree."

"Then why don't you just go and find her, fool!" He spoke. "Go and be one big happy family with her. The world will swallow you up at some point!"

"That's not a bad idea, Ben. I'll take the offer." Pilot simply left the wooded area and left Ben to bleed.

Fallon panted heavily as she stopped to breathe from the running, Faris nuzzled her hand to comfort her, his snout covered in blood. Hawk laid a hand on her shoulder and matched her exhausted breathing, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." She listened to the running water of the stream nearby and knelt to cup her hands into the water. She rubbed Faris' snout clean of Ben's blood. "There you go, we don't want that bad man's blood on you, its poisonous." Faris made a whining noise before he laid his chin on her shoulder.

Hawk sat down with her as well, resting his body, "I hope we find something."

"We will." She turned to the warm and fluffy wolf who nestled into her shoulder, "You up for another kill?" She asked him. Faris left her embrace and let out an excited howl.

"I'll take that as a yes." Fallon watched as the wolf ran across the stream and disappeared into the thicket. Both stood and followed Faris into the forest, hoping he would come back with something suitable for Venner to consume.