21

The sight made her furious, that fire lit again in her stomach again fiercer and more enraged. She had seen so many people overdose on Elate before but never anyone using it to take advantage of someone. That fire soon doused, and a sickening pain replaced it and she wretched, gagging from the sight of Venner in such a disturbing state.

"Fallon, get him out of here!" Leo demanded, seeing his daughter hold her stomach. There was no time for him to let her react, the clock was ticking. She nodded and gained her composure, kneeling next to her blonde friend.

Fallon kept ripping off the patches until none were left, she started tapping him on the side of his cheek to get him to wake up, "Come on, Venner!" She heard him wheezing and sat him up straight. Leo had gone to retrieve his companion whom he suspected had pinned down Taris somewhere in the back so she wouldn't get away. "Wake up Venner!" she shouted.

He gradually opened his eyes and started gasping for air, clawing at the back of his neck, Fallon reached to find another patch that had hidden itself, she ripped it off and he could breathe clearer again. As much as she wanted to know what happened, she rushed him out of the home and took him back to her father's quarters. She draped his arm over her shoulder to keep him steady as he stumbled along with her. She was thankful that he was breathing but she knew that the worst would come in the morning, Elate never left a soul behind. As she carried his weight, another weight had piled upon her shoulders, guilt.

Why did she leave him alone with that woman? What was she thinking? Venner's soul was too pure for this world, so why did she let him go off alone? She dreaded what she would see in the morning, everyone who had Elate died. Venner groggily looked over at Fallon whose head was lowered in shame, not making any eye contact whatsoever.

"Fallonnn..." He slurred. She didn't answer him, but he did catch a single tear falling from her eyes. Venner felt his own guilt, but he was too drugged to speak coherently. They walked up the steps and stumbled into the doorway, waking Hawk up from his sleep, when he saw Venner limp and sleepy eyed he sprang up into action. "What happened?" He asked.

"That harlot drugged Venner." She told him, carrying the blonde to her bed laying him down.

"My God." Hawk looked at Venner, he was starting to pale, his body already starting to react from withdrawing from the chemicals.

"Help me, please." She told him and he rushed to make sure Venner laid upon his side in case he emptied the contents of his stomach during the night. She hoped he would, it would give him a better chance at living.

Leo dragged the young red headed woman through the alleyways by her arm, "No, please don't do this to me!" She pleaded. "I am sorry, Leo!" She cried.

He yanked her arm and rose her to her feet, "You know the rules of this camp. You violated them and now you will have to pay the price!" He shouted in her face, his angry words spitting saliva in her face. Leo brought her to the center of camp and shouted loud enough to wake up everyone, "TARIS IS BANISHED!" He bellowed from his chest, enticing a crowd to watch on as she kept pleading for mercy. The gates opened and two men grabbed her by the arms, throwing her out of the camp. She landed on her hands and knees, screaming, and crying for mercy from the other side as the gates closed, the camp's bright lights finally dimming and vanishing as they closed. Fallon looked out at the woman who had drugged Venner, all of that just to tempt him. Part of her felt sorry for her but then when her eyes fell on the blonde man upon the bed, fury replaced it.

"Let this be a reminder to any of you who break the rules. I will not be merciful to you." Leo announced to the crowd that formed to see the horrible situation. He entered his home to see Fallon sitting at Venner's bedside, watching him closely. "Hey Wisp."

She looked up at her dad with a fearful expression, "Dad, he has to live, I-"

"Sit him up for me, Wisp." He told her. She didn't protest and obeyed him. Leo left the room to retrieve something, when he came back, he had a vile of a pale-yellow liquid and a bucket. "Okay, hold this under his chin and I'll get him to drink this."

"What is that?" she asked.

"It's mustard water, we figured out that it makes people vomit the minute its swallowed."

"Will it-"

"Maybe, we will have to see." He tipped the vile into Venner's mouth and waited for him to swallow it. Venner's eyes opened wide, coughing into a fit before his stomach lurched in his body and emptied itself into the bucket. Leo cupped the man's face to check that his pupils were no longer dilated, "All we can do now is let him rest now, Wisp." He told her.

"I want to watch over him tonight."

"I will, okay? You need your rest too." the protested.

"Please. I can't let him be alone-"

"Wisp." He approached her, holding her face. "This was not your fault." His words were still as comforting and gentle as ever. She nodded even though the feeling upon her shoulders didn't let up. "Sleep. If anything happens during the night, I will wake you."

Fallon nodded and turned to leave the room, she hated leaving Venner alone, what if something happened? What if he didn't pull through? Hawk sat beside her, it seemed like ever since she arrived, she had seen the most unspeakable things. She missed her old home, at least she was comfortable there. She didn't have to worry about anyone but her and her brother, two voices rang in her head that night. One praised her for leaving and the other that condemned her for not staying.