Chapter 22 - Going In

Martinez opened the door. His eyes grew, and he looked behind him. I could tell he was concerned; Martinez was pretty much the only Woodbury resident that had morals. He was a good man, even if he had chosen the wrong leader.

"I know," I whispered, getting down to business. He hadn't said a word; it was a surprise, that's for sure. "I shouldn't be here. But, I need your help. And we came for what's ours."

His face went dark, and fear glinted in his eyes. "My help? What can I do? The Governor will have my head if anything slightly suspicious arises. I want to help you, kid, I really do. But I'm not willing to throw my life on the line."

It was a reasonable excuse. He didn't need to do anything for us, and he didn't owe us any favours. This man had already saved lives and endangered himself for the sake of someone else. He was a hero. Could I really ask more of him? That wouldn't be fair of me, would it?

"I understand. There's one thing you could do, though, that would be safe."

I had peaked his interest. I knew he wanted to help, he was just afraid. That much was revealed in his eyes. I could have the plan in affect very soon.

"Okay, as long as it's safe."

*****

I crept down the staircase, being careful to add as little weight onto each stair as possible and distributing my weight over my steps. These were creaky stairs, which was a curse. Phillip had good ears, and if I wasn't careful he'd be on me in seconds.

When safely at the bottom of the stairs, I tried to find my way back to where I had been held prisoner. It looked the same - except for one thing...

Where I had been, there was now an Undead. It was chained down, and it seemed like it had also been a prisoner, one that had been forgotten and died chained to the wall. Grief flooded over me. How could Phillip be so cruel, so sick?

I moved to the right of the Undead, out of it's reach, and tapped on the wall. "Andrea? Andrea, are you in there?"

After a few seconds I heard a faint call. I couldn't make out what it was saying, but it was weak. I followed the wall the the stairs. There was no door. Pushing around, I desperately tried to find a way to Andrea. She was still calling back, but it was sounding more and more urgent by the second. Thankfully, the wall against the staircase gave way when I thrusted my entire weight against it, which wasn't much with the amount of good being distributed.

I fell into a strange room. It looked like a lab of some sort. A rotten stench made it's way to my nose, and I crinkled it up. There were microscopes, test tubes, and vials on the table. Most were broken as if someone had left in quite a hurry.

I heard Andrea again. Still calling, but her breathe sounded drained and sickly.

Walking towards it, a panic arose. When she came into view, I gasped. This couldn't be happening... It couldn't be. What was it?