Chapter 10 - Unexpected Findings

*Merle's POV*

I woke up to chaos. With Officer Friendly gone crazy, I thought maybe he had done something drastic to awake me from my "beauty sleep." I got up out of my cell, ready to do some ass-kicking to whoever was talking so damn loud when people were trying to sleep. 

"I'm going after her!" Daryl yelled, looking pissed off. He had his crossbow in his hands, and he looked ready to go on a run. But it was too early for that.

"She's not even one of us, and she's dangerous! You aren't going out there when we need you here, in case they come back for us. Be reasonable." Rick said, out of our "prisoner" cell block and back into ours. He was right up in Daryl's face, which I hadn't seen at all yet. Daryl had become Rick's little puppy dog, and now he was finally growing some balls.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's wrong, Little Brother?"

They turned to face me, both looking rather annoyed. The others were all watching intently, waiting on something I didn't know and listening to their little argument. Well, I didn't plan on being in the dark forever.

"Eden left sometime during the night, and Daryl thinks it'd be a good idea to go and find her." Rick grumbled, spitting words out like venom. He was all talk and no do, that was exactly why I didn't like him. He had his people do all the dirty work for him.

"She's out there on her own, and she's injured."

I looked at my brother, who was looking at his feet. I knew he wanted to protect his people, and he was the only one who had stuck a leg out for the girl. I didn't know why, but they had bonded. 

I started to laugh, shaking my head at their stupidity. Rick was obviously not in any condition to make any calls, or to even go on watch. Honestly, he was useless right now. I wasn't too crazy about going on watch, either.

"I'll go." 

Daryl's head shot up. "What?"

Rick got down on one knee, and looked like he was praying with his one hand over top of his face, wiping down slowly as if he was in thought. Probably thinking I was his wife. Just the thought made me chuckle. What an idiot.

"Fine. You go. But if you find her, bring her back unarmed. Don't be gone too long, we need you here." Rick answered for me. I grinned, proud of my success.

As I walked past Daryl, I clapped him on the back. My little brother wasn't going out to find this kid, not if he was going alone. That would be my job, if anyones. Plus, I was definately the best at killing the Biters. It was fun.

*****

I was out for my little "joyride" on my motorcycle, swerving down the road and enjoying myself. It had been awhile since I had been out, it was time for a break from the Officer Friendly clan. I didn't like the way they looked at me, like I was the one that they were afraid of.

Oddly, I found a huge group of slaughtered Biters. They were shot, all dead. They were all together, indicating they had been feeding when they were killed, a skill I had gained while going on a hunting trip or two with my Dad before I left...

I crouched down, trying to find the new Biter. There wasn't one, only the dead bodies of old Biters. But, what I did find, was a bag and a backpack. Looking around, I made sure there weren't any living ones coming from the forests. I opened the bag - baby formula.

This had been Eden. 

*****

"Where is she?" Daryl asked, coming down from our watch tower on my way through the gate. He was looking around and past me for Eden. I felt bad for him, but it was mostly sypathy for how pathetic he was being. I taught him not to care about these people, as it would only hold him back. 

"What, no friendly welcoming for your big brother?" I joked, opening my arms to give him a noogie. He just pushed right past me, still scanning for her.

"I said, where is she?" 

He was demanding me now, and I didn't like it. I was the older one, I shouldn't have to take orders from him. I never had to before, so why start now?

"Here. This is all I found."

I tossed the bag at him, keeping the backpack slung around my shoulder. It didn't take him long to clue in, and he looked angry. He threw the bag back at me, clearly frustrated. He just stood there, looking at me in the silence. 

Finally, he spoke. "She's dead?" His voice was quiet, and it looked like he didn't want to hear the answer. Man, this kid really has gone soft.

"I didn't find her, but there were dead Biters all around the bags. Shot. That's all I know." 

He walked past me to the bike and got on. He wasn't happy, and I had no idea where he was going. If I knew my little brother, I knew it would do no good to try and stop him. He would go, but he would come back. He always did, and it would only piss him off more.

Oh Daryl, you really do look after your people. I guess you're just doing what our Dad never did for us. I never should've left you there, I wouldn't have if I had known what he had been doing to you. That bastard.

I knew that Rick wouldn't be too happy that Daryl had gone, but we could always lock Mr Crazy back in the cell block until he calmed down again. That would be fun, watching that sorry excuse for a man wiggle around and whine as his son watches to see the real man who was raising him. 

*Flashback*

"Merle!" my Dad called from around the back of the house. "Get your ass over here!"

I grumbled as I walked to the back of the house, watching my Dad as he worked on the truck. He was leaned over, working on the engine. Oil was everywhere again, he was in desperate need of a shower, not that I was one to talk right now...

I leaned up against the truck, trying to stay as far away from him as possible. I knew how this man could be, angry and unforgiving. He was the reason I hated coming home, I'd rather stay at school overnight, like I have in my past, and just sleep in the boys change-room.

"You took the truck out, now it's not working." He grumbled, turning to face me, looking very mean. 

Uh oh, here we go. I knew something was wrong with the radiator. That noise it was making... I should've done something. Maybe taken it to a car dealership.

"Well?" 

I didn't answer, and looked down at my feet. He shoved me backwards, and I fell down onto the dusty road. 

"Answer me!"

I froze. There was nothing I could do now, he already had me on the ground, and it was too late to crawl away; he would catch up in no time. Plus, he had his gun, and I didn't have a doubt in my mind that he would use it if there was a chance that I would get away. Daryl had it so easy... typical pre-teen boy. Dad never even bothered with him.

His fists rained down on me, but I felt nothing. I had gotten used to this, and I guess it was a good thing, too, because now I had figured out how to trigger myself to numb. If I thought hard enough, I could mentally block out his punches. Though the bruises were still there, it was like I hadm't been.

When it finally stopped, it ached to move. I just sat in a ball on the ground and stayed there long after he went away. I'm not sure why I stayed, I suppose I wasn't sure if it had really stopped or not. But when I eventually did get up, I was ready to go. There was no way I was staying here. My Dad was a bastard, and I refused to take anymore of this. 

Daryl was on my mind as I left. I didn't want him to hate me for leaving, but I couldn't stay. 

Goodbye Little Brother, I'll see you again soon, I hope. You'll be okay, you always are. I taught you well. 

And that part of my life was behind me.

*End of Flashback*