Chapter 17 - Defiance

It was Martinez who had come down to retrieve me after my little "stunt" toward getting a final jab at Phillip. Martinez wasn't angry, as much as he was cautious. There wasn't a single word uttered to me as I found myself being forced to climb up the rickety steps to definate doom. Whatever I had stirred up had gotten me out of that godforsaken basement, and that was nearly a reward. Had I not been concerning myself about what was to come, I mean...

I was led out into the streets, somewhere nobody was allowed to roam during night-time, and ushered past many buildings. It was cold out, but other than that, it seemed to be the perfect night.

I could hear people cheering in the distance, from the direction in which I was being herded. Excited cheers rang out, echoing down the concrete street, and in my mind I cursed at them. They would surely be attracting every Undead for miles! Hopefully they had people guarding the wall closely.

A part of me wished they weren't.

"Please just let me go. You can tell them anything you want, but I can't live like this. And I'm not going to let that monster murder me."

Martinez's hand loosened for a moment, before tightening again. I knew he didn't want to go through with whatever was going to happen to me, but Uncle Phillip was the closest thing to a brother that he had at the moment. He was scared, and Phillip was his leader. A very powerful one, at that.

We stopped on the otherside of the building closest to where the cheering was coming from. I could hear Phillip's voice, and I strained as hard as I could to hear his voice, to pin-point exactly what was being said.

"We have a traitor! She's put us all in danger, attempted to steal away all of our peace! And for this, she will pay. There is only one way she can be forgiven. She must prove her dedication to us, it is the only way!" Many people hooted and hollered.

Martinez looked me in the eyes. "God, kid. I'm so sorry... Why'd you have to piss him off so much?"

And that was it, as I joined the population of Woodbury behind the government building.

*****

Coldness swept over my body as fast as a hurricane. No, this had to be wrong. How the hell did this happen? Where did they find him? Wake up! This is all a dream! It has to be!

It wasn't, though, and I knew it. This was the sharp reality that had finally caught up to me. Almost immediately, I realized I should've died that day I found the prison. I never should've found these people, and I shouldn't have interfered. This all could've ended so differently, and it probably would've, had I not been around.

"This is Eden! The traitor! She is to put down her partner, her fellow traitor! This bloodshed will show us all how sorry she is."

I looked up at Phillip, standing with his people, his eyes smirking at me. I could almost hear him laugh, tell me how stupid I was to think I still had a say in this world. I wanted to cry, to bang my fists against the ground. I even wanted to die.

The poeple were cheering even louder than before as I was pushed toward him, a knife thrust into my hand as the weapon I would have to use to murder.

He was chained to the ground, and he looked smaller than I've ever seen him. All he's been through, and now I was to be the one to kill him.

"No." I whispered. He looked up at me, his dark hair poking into his eyes. He wasn't crying, he was trying his best to be brave. His mother would've been proud.

Carl was tied down like a hog, unable to move. I wasn't sure how they had gotten ahold of him, but I couldn't help but worry about the rest of the prison people. They would've put up a fight for him, and they wouldn't have given up until they were dead. That thought alone made me want to die on the spot.

Daryl...

I let out a scream of frustration swung the knife. I hit perfectly, hearing the satisfying crunch beneath my weight. Carl screamed in terror, but he stopped abruptly.

The whole crowd was frozen. They hadn't expected me to do it, and ethey were all in shock. Before they could notice, Carl popped up from his spot, the broken chains falling to the ground beside him. He wiggled, stretching his muscles and preparing for what was to come.

Just as I had expected, Phillip's men came charging at us as soon as they realized what had happened. The women and their children were screaming, scattering in different directions trying to get home before all hell broke loose. And, as I had expected, there weren't many of his soldiers around. I assumed they had taken wall duty.

Carl picked the chain up from the ground and swung it at one of the men. He hit him hard, a solid smack, and he let out a cry. As he regained himself, I pertruded him with the knife blade. We kept up like this, but were struggling as there were more of them than us.

And then came the gunfire.

The bullets began to come down quickly, and Carl and I did our best to keep a continuous movement going to avoid being shot. It became complicated fast, but then the sound of someone's scream distracted the. It was a women.

"The gate's been breached!"

Uh oh. I knew that could only mean one thing - the Undead were ready for a feast.

Many of the men left us, going to fight for their town. There were only a few left, even Phillip had chosen the wall.

Some more gunshots rained down, only, they weren't shooting us. They were shooting the people of Woodbury. I looked up to see Merle across the street, a constant fire coming from his good arm as he yelled at Carl and I to get our asses over to him.

The Woodbury people left to defend against us were dead. There was nobody left, and Merle led us out and over the gate through one of the alleyways. Once we were out, we made our way to Glenn's car.

It didn't take us long to spin out of there, leaving a trail of dust behind us. I doubt Phillip even heard us leave over the sound of rapid gunfire. There must've been a lot of the Undead.

"Merle?" I asked after awhile, the silence paining me. There were so many questions I had to ask, so many that needed to be answered. But one in particular stuck out.

"Yes, girly?"

I looked back at Carl, who was looking out the window, a mixture of blood and durt sticking to his face. The poor kid never should've had to see any of this. He should be going to school, thinking about girls, hanging out with friends. Not this.

"Where is everyone?"

Merle opened his mouth, and snapped it shut again. Panick arised in me as he continued to drive, not even bothering to look at me. Why wasn't he answering me?