Chapter 20 - Try Again

The air was beginning to get colder, and I knew it wouldn't be long before winter. Rick's group was in need of a new leader if we planned on making it through the coldest season, though they'd managed to do it before.

We were gathered around the small cell block, each one of us putting careful consideration into this decision. A new leader would mean new rules, and new rules meant we'd have to play it safe.

Glenn was sitting on the staircase in the middle of us, his arm around Maggie. He was the first to break the chilling silence.

"Daryl, you've got to lead us. You were Rick's right-hand man. He showed you the ropes, and you know best around here how to keep us alive. It has to be you." We all mumbled our agreements. Glenn did have a point, nobody had been closer to Rick in here then Daryl had been. Not even his own, sad and lost, son.

Daryl was standing across from me in the opposite corner, his arms crossed. His facial expression was unreadable, and I knew he was trying to make it that way.

"No. I didn't sign up to lead you around. I'm here to defend and be part of the group. Not my responsibility." he replied. I knew what he was afraid of - he didn't want to lead us to our deaths. He didn't want the blood on his hands because he cared too much to let that happen. And he wasn't trusting enough toward himself.

"You don't have to be permanent leader." I stated, looking him in the eye. "What if you just led us until we found out a new way for things to be done around here? A new plan."

Glenn nodded, as did Maggie. "Come on Daryl, we need you! Nobody else here is capable of keeping us alive, especially not your good-for-nothing brother."

Merle snickered from his spot next to Daryl. He was leaning with his head against the cement walls, chewing on a piece of grass. His arms were folded, mirroring his younger brothers. I couldn't believe how much they looked alike in that moment.

"Little-brother said no, chinaman. And who's to say there's nobody else capable of that? Take a look around! You have a whole room-full of people, if only you'd open up your little eyes." He paused, taking in a breathe. "What about you, Glenn? You're so worried about the group, how about you you step-up as queen-bee?"

I looked over to Glenn, who's face was a dark shade of red. He was blushing, and I could tell he was embarrassed. Sure, he was used to Merle's usual racist comments toward him, but that wasn't why he was ashamed. Glenn was scared. I could see it in his eyes; it was the same as mine after I would look in the mirror before the world came crashing down, after my father did those horrible things to me. Glenn was afraid.

"No, I can't do it. I'm not..." he looked at Maggie, then to the ground. "I'm not brave enough."

Maggie pulled him into a hug, trying to make him feel better. Her love for him was obvious, and she wouldn't let a little fear ruin the way she felt about him. That was the way a relationship should be, especially in a world of the Undead.

We sat in silence for a few minutes considering the rest of our options; there was Hershel, but he only had one leg and he was weakened with old age. Then there was Beth, who just wasn't strong enough to find herself in the midst of a gunfight. Carol was a good woman, but she always relied on others. Maggie was almost perfect, but she wouldn't do anything to risk herself.

Carl. Carl was Rick's boy, stubborn and confident. I could see him leading these people, though when I thought back to the night he had been placed in Woodbury with me, and the pleading look for freedom on his face, I knew he wasn't old enough yet. In a few years, he would be perfect, just not yet.

"What about girly over there?"

Merle nodded at me, breaking into my thoughts. Everybody turned to look at me. Oh heck no.

"She can't lead us, she's just a young woman. She hasn't even been in our group for longer then a month, and I don't know if I can trust her!" Hershel butted in. He wasn't being rude, he was stating him opinion. I didn't blame him for not trusting me, he didn't know me well and we'd barely talked.

"Hershel, she came for me." Daryl took a step forward, his eyes on me. "I could've died in that tree, but Eden came back for me, she saved my life. If she was untrustworthy, why'd she come back?"

Hershel didn't say a word, just nodded and looked to the ground. I knew Daryl's point had been proved, but I really didn't think I could be leader.

"You got a tough girly there, saw a whole swarm of them Walkers that this here girl put down like a pack of sick dogs. Seen em' with my own eyes. Right smack in the centre of the highway." Merle said, still chewing his piece of grass.

Now, I vaguely knew what he was talking about, but it hasn't been me who killed them. Phillip and his men had slaughtered a whole pack of the Undead to get to me, and that had to be what Merle was talking about. But he had to have known that it wasn't me who killed them. Sure, I'd killed the Undead before, put them down, but making lies wasn't going to keep this group safe.

"I can't-" I started, before being cut off.

"We'll give the girl a chance, but she's going to have to prove herself before I put my entire trust into her." Hershel said. And then people started to disperse, leaving me confused and lost.

*****

All I had to say was Andrea before I had the group's attention. It had only been a few hours since made leader, but if I were going to make a choice on what to do, it would have to include that girl.

"You heard from Andrea? She's in Woodbury?" Maggie demanded, panic in her eyes. She looked as if she knew what this meant, which could mean I'm left in the dark. Only, it was me who had the power right now.

"She was in a room next to mine, and I think we need to get her out. Phillip is a horrible man, and I can only imagine how terrible in must be to be locked in his basement... in the other room." I shuddered, remembering how bad of a time I had there. "I think we should go soon."

Daryl rose to his feet. "I'm in. If we go tonight, chances are we can take them by surprise." He looked over at me, an eyebrow raised as if to get the go-ahead to continue. I nodded. "Then, Merle, Eden and I can slip in through the town while they're sleeping, because of their night curfew. We'll go in as quietly as we can, and find a way to get Andrea out."

Merle began to clap, thunderous and loud. "Well, well. What'd I say about this one being tough? We follow that plan, we get in, and we get out. Sounds simple to me. And as long as we're in The Governor's house, I'm going to slit his throat."

A part of my heart clenched. My uncle had been a kindhearted man once, and now he was the monster we were sneaking around behind and planning to murder. It was almost too much, but I knew if he were to die, it would save a world of hurt for everyone. We wouldn't have to deal with his murderous schemes anymore.

"It's a plan." I said, turning to my cell to get some sleep before we left. I stopped at the door, looking back.

"Remember, it's fight the dead, and fear the living."

With that, I felt my confidence rise toward the possible murder of Phillip. We were going to war, and that's what would happen if we didn't execute this plan perfectly.

I was ready.