Chapter 3 - Awaiting Changes

I was led in through another set of gates by a small Asian man. He wasn't as threatening as the others, but I didn't trust him. 

I was surprised to see how big the prison was; the cold, damp concrete walls raising high up, echoing my footsteps throughout the cell block. It smelled odd, like the Undead, yet there wasn't any in sight. It was just a little unnerving, and I was sure that they couldn't have cleared out the entire prison all on their own. They either had help, or they were holding them somewheres. Possibly for a defence mechanism.

The Asian man brought me through one more cell block before we came to a stop. He pushed me into a metallic chair that sat in front of a table. As I was looking around, some of their people came in and the cell doors shut. I couldn't help but notice that they all had weapons. I prayed that they wouldn't torture me, I wasn't sure if I could handle that again.

"Why did you come here? Did The Governor send you?" the man with a scruffy beard said. He looked harsh, but then again we all did. This world wasn't what you would call easy.

I was slightly confused. The Governor? Was the government involved with this group? That couldn't be good, especially if they decided to torture me. I hadn't heard anything about the government since the fall-out, but if there still was one and they were partnered with these people, they would have all sorts of ways to find things out.

"I came because I didn't know there were people here. And no, I didn't even know there was still a government." 

The man lowered himself to my height and looked me in the eyes, like he was trying to tell if I was lying or not. I had to admit, his eyes looked cold and worn out, like he wasn't really sure what to do with himself anymore. That would make two of us, old man.

"There is no government." he mumbled, looking away. "How many are with you?"

I almost started to laugh. He just assumed I was working in a group. I guess it wasn't expected for a young woman to be travelling alone, but clearly this man did not know me. Damn sexist if I do say so myself. A woman can defend herself just as well as a man if she has the right training. 

"None."

All of them looked at me like I was crazy, like I was making up stories. What did they expect, me to come  in here alone and leave a big group of people outside the gate to fend for themselves? Uh, no. I might not be the smartest chick on the planet, but even I knew enough for that to sound ridiculous. This guy was suspicious, even if it wasn't directly at me. Somebody out there had to have made him have his guard up.

"Girl, I need the truth, and I need it now. You're too young to be out on your own. How old are you, twelve?" a crippled old man asked, one of his legs cut off right near the knee. He was leaning on crutches, looking at me expectantly. Something told me he wasn't about to play games. No more pretending like my life before had never happened. I had to explain myself.

"I'm seventeen, actually. And I am alone, I prefer not to be with others. They slow me down, and I don't need to watch out for others." I answered, trying to keep the anger out of my voice. I felt like they were toying with me, waiting until I said something of use before they started the terror.

"Makes sense to me." Daryl commented, lowering his cross-bow. I could see he didn't trust me but he also could see that I was not lying. Maybe it had been the emotion in my voice, who knew? 

"My name's Rick." the scruffy-bearded man said. He nodded toward the crippled man. "That's Hershel. And that there is Daryl."

They both gave me a half-wave. 

"I'm Glenn." introduced the Asian man in the corner of the room. He was studying me harder than the others. It was like he could see my past right through me.

With that, they exited the room, leaving me to fear for my future. 

*****

"Get up."

I blinked myself awake, the gray darkness of the cell-block greeting me with unwanted nervousness. This place was creepy and dark. I preferred sleeping in trees, that way I could wake up to the sun. That was how I knew I was living just fine, but in here it was like I was the prisoner. I guess I was.

"Finally. You slept for two days, kid." It was Daryl, and he had a very amused expression on his face. "You talk in your sleep. How did you survive the nights?"

I hadn't known that. Talking in my sleep was an entirely new concept. He was right though, it was damn lucky that the Undead never got to me in my sleep. Oh, the joy of sleeping in tall trees. I guess that was a definate upside. 

He led me out of the cell block to go outside. Outside was where the Undead were, and God knows I could use killing a few of those to blow off steam. I reached down to my pouch and realized I didn't have my knife.

"Where is it?" I demanded. My voice came out shakey and frantic, a little psychotic. But could you blame me? That thing was my life line, the only way I could fairly defend myself from being bitten. The last thing I wanted to happen was to turn into one of them.

"Rick has it. He figured until we knew if you were safe or not, he would hold onto it." he looked back at me with a sly grin. "Plus, I can handle us."

That was for sure. He had already saved my ass once. No doubt he would do it again. Daryl was the one I wasn't afraid of. He seemed... normal. This world didn't seem to drain him the way it had with the others. Maybe he was the perfect role model.

"Ever shoot a gun?"

I looked at him and shook my head. There had been a time when I was going to learn how to hunt, nbut that had been a few weeks before Dad met Sheila. All plans of that went out the window so he could spend more time with her.

"Well, it's about time you did." 

We started out for the field when he added. "Oh, and don't tell Rick. I don't think he'd be as welcoming to the idea."

I didn't think so either.