Chapter 16 - Deep Down

*Merle's Point of View*

It was quite the afternoon. I mean, I wasn't expecting anyone other than Daryl to be affected by my absense at all. Rick was more than willing to hand me over, as were basically everyone else. Glenn hated me ever since I kidnapped him and Maggie; he still didn't realize that it was only so I could get to my little brother. They would've done the same thing had they been in my place.

That girly, Eden, had caused a commotion. I mean, it's better her than me. At least, that's what I wanted to think. But this girl wasn't like the others, she connected with me and Daryl in a way nobody had in a long time. She was an outsider as well.

Daryl was furious that Rick let her go. He wasn't going to be happy either way, but there was definitely something going on between him and the girl. He hadn't cared about anyone like that in a long, long time.

It's been hours since they took her, and he's just been sitting in his cell. Rick tried to talk to him, but Daryl didn't want company. That didn't mean he didn't want his Big Brother though, right?

"Hey Little Brother." 

He looked up, looking smaller and younger than I had seen him since he begged me not to leave him with Dad. I hated to say it, but that little trick of his made my eyes burn. I never should've left him.

"Go away, Merle." 

I knew he didn't blame me for Eden going with The Governor, but that didn't make me feel any better. He looked like he was physically aching, and that wasn't something I'd allow not after what our bastard Dad did to him. I let it happen once, but never again. I'd do anything to make it stop.

"C'mon Little Brother. Stop your moping, we've got to make a plan to get your girly back safe." I said, adding some sarcasm into my voice. Couldn't let him think I've gone soft, now could we?

He looked surprised. I guess he wasn't expecting my support. For that, I wouldn't blame him. I've always said that we didn't need anybody else, and I'd always avoided helping anyone outside of the two of us. I thought it was careless, but now I'd seen that the girl was more than just a friend.

"You'd help me?" Daryl asked, his voice quiet. When I nodded, he hung his head down again, thinking over the information I'd just told him. "I missed you brother."

Now my eyes really were burning. Not wanting to seem weak, I mumbled a: "Get outta here." and left the room. 

I missed you, too, Daryl.

*Eden's Point Of View*

The room's musty stench wasn't easy to get used to. I mean, the smell of the Undead's decaying flesh wasn't too pleasant either, but for having someone live in this place, it was unsanitary. But, I suppose my Uncle was too.

Milton staggered down the stairs, holding some clothes in his arms. He gave me a small smile as he padded over the dirty floor over to me, his eyes looking sympathetic.

"Phillip sent you down this." He held up the clothes. I nearly started to laugh. Really? This was what he wanted me to wear? I've known him all my life and he should've known better. 

In Milton's hands was a blue dress, frilly and girly. It had puffy sleeves, one that looked as if it were from the eighty's. It was probably the most disgusting thing I had seen, and I was instantly angry. Why would he send this down when he knew I've always refused to wear dresses? It was stupid, and immature.

"No. Take it up. I'd rather wear this." I argued. My distaste for this hideous piece of material was showing through over my face. Not that I cared, manners were no longer required. Even if my Mom would disagree...

Milton's expression looked frail. "Eden, you don't understand how angry he'll be if you show up at dinner without this. He's a very powerful man... Don't doubt that."

I looked at him, knowing he didn't know a lot of what was going on. He was niave, left out of our little circle. Poor Milton, sad and oblivious.

"I do know that. I've known him for a very, very long time." I started. Shock pertruded over his face. I guess Phillip hadn't told him any of our past. "Phillip used to be a very nice man, and he loved his family more than anything. Especially his daughter. I hadn't seen him for awhile since the disease, but he's changed a lot since then. Milton, Phillip is my uncle."

He stood in front of me trying to process what I had just told him. I understood just how confused he must've been, but I was glad to have it off of my chest. I didn't have to carry around the weight on my shoulders any longer.

"And I'm still not wearing that damn dress."

Milton chuckled, shaking his head as if he knew I'd refuse. His eyes were still filled with sorrow, but I was glad to make him smile, even if it was just a little. "I never would've guessed. He's so angry, and you're so full of hope..."

I nodded solomnly. I used to be just like him. I guess things have changed more than I realized. 

I spoke with Milton for a few more minutes before he decided that he really must leave; he didn't want Phillip to come down and check on things. Without further adue, he left the dress in my reach, so that if I changed my mind, all I'd have to do was call and get dressed, then Milton left up the staircase. 

I didn't care what my punishment would be. There was no way I was wearing that crappy piece of junk dress.