Chapter 4 - A Shot In The Dark

Bang.

The shot went right into the Undead with lightening speed. I hadn't hit it in the heaad as intended, and I was beginning to get frustrated. Twenty-three shots and I still hadn't blew the brains out of one. I wanted to be proud, but this was just pissing me off now. No more Miss Nice-Gal. I wanted to kill.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold your horses there girl. If your going to fire shot after shot, at least take a breathe and re-aim the gun. It'll give you a few seconds to focus again and you might actually hit the damn target." Daryl was trying to sound impatient, but he had a half-smile. It seemed like he didn't doubt that I'd make the shot, but he thought it might take awhile for that to happen.

I took in a breathe, and stared ahead at a new target - an Undead man about twenty feet away. I concentrated hard, feeling like maybe this would actually be the shot. This was what I needed; a sense of acomplishment. Plus, knowing how to fire a gun would come in handy, that was certain. Maybe I could steal one when I decided to leave - and that would be soon.

I pushed my finger against the trigger and the bullet shot out, making the gun kick back against my shoulder. The first few times this had happened, it had hurt and surprised me. Daryl had chuckled at the expression at my face, but since then I had gotten used to it. 

The bullet clipped the Undead right in the side of the head. 

"Finally."

I grinned at him. "I did it, don't ruin the moment."

I tried it again on a new creature, once again making the shot. Maybe I could take up hunting if the world ever went back to the way it was. That would be nice, having a new hobby; refreshing.

We carried on like that for awhile; Daryl observing my shots and making sarcastic comments whenever he could, and I, shooting at the Undead and enjoying ever success I made. It was comfortable, not the way it had been inside with such a tense atmosphere. I wasn't worried about Daryl suddenly decided to kill me, he didn't seem that cruel. It didn't take me long to realize that it had been so, so long since I had spent this much time with another human being. Well, one that was alive anyways.

We decided after a few more shots, that it was time to go back in. We had been out shooting for an hour or so, and I wasn't doing so bad. 

"You've got quite a shot, uh...?" Daryl started, breaking the silence.

"Eden. My name's Eden." I finished for him. "And thank you. Not just for saying that, but for teaching me. Who knows, maybe that'll save me one day. It gets messy out there sometimes." 

I thought back to a few months ago. I had been searching around a neighbourhood, desperate for food. I thought maybe if I checked around here for some, there would be something left over. Pantaries could be hidden better than others, and maybe I was more dedicated than other people. When I went into the basement of a very rich-looking home, I was surprised to find a gang of men. They were strong, and disgusting. They tortured me for a few days, trying to get me to tell them where my group was. They thought I was lying, but before long they just left there to die. I had cuts everywhere, my ankle broken. It took weeks for it to completely heal, and it was slow going from there.

"We haven't moved for awhile. I think that's the hardest part." He stole a glance at me. "Have you settled down anywhere's yet? It's dangerous to wander around without a goal in mind for destination."

I shook my head. He was right, it was dangerous. But there was no where completely safe, it wasn't like anyone could escape the Undead. So that was me, always on the go. The longest I stayed in one spot since I left my group was a week. And that was when my ankle had broke.