Chapter 5 - Unwanted Visitors

I didn't like the cell block much after the first day. I missed my freedom, and I knew the longer that I remained in the prison, the harder it would be to leave. I was growing attached to the company, I suppose, and that was exactly what I was afraid of having happen.

They were good to me, all except for a few. I couldn't really relate to any of them but Daryl and maybe even his brother, Merle. I was definately the outsider, and they kept a close eye on me at all times. Somehow, I had become Daryl's responsibility. That was most likely because he wasn't scared of me like the others were, and he was welcome to the idea of teaching me how to carry my weight around here.

It was today he taught me how to stand watch. He showed me where the most probable area of intrusion was, and we kept a sharp on there. It was the gate that I had come in through, and it was locked up tightly. There wouldn't be any way that someone could get through there, unless, of course, we opened it up for them.

"Has anyone tried to break in yet?" I asked him, curious to know just how safe this little "paradise" was. Clearly, the people relied on the gates to do a lot. They protected them from the Undead, and it was a nice little getaway.

"We've had a few come through the broken side of the prison, but they never would have found us if Carl hadn't brought them to safety in your cell block. The Walkers would've got to them first."

So it wasn't entirely safe. I guess it wasn't possible to be safe anymore, not after the way the world was now. Maybe it was better for us to always be on guard; fearing for what could happen if we got too close to one of those things. That just might be what has held us together so far.

"What the hell?" Daryl mumbled, looking out of the watch tower to the front gate. I followed his gaze, slightly alarmed. This just might be the time for me to slip out unnoticed, if I could manage to get out of their sights.

There were a few different vehicles parked outside the gate. The were right up close, and the Undead were attracted to them, clawing at the windows like a dog begging to get outside. If they were to get out of the cars, it would be certain death. There were more than just a few, and it was obvious that they were hungry.

I watched the sunroof of a small car open up, and a man popped out the top holding a machine gun. Well, so much for certain death. He pasted them quickly; it was a clear blood-bath. There wasn't much effort put into it either, these men were here to kill. And it looked like they were damn good at it.

"He's back."

*****

Rick gathered us all out to the front of the prison. He had us armed, with the exception of me, as I was still their little prisoner girl. Even Carl had a gun, and he looked like he knew what he was doing. That kid was more trained than me, and he was nearly half my age. Growing up sucks.

"It's The Governor. You know the drill, shoot if you think there's a threat. But I don't want a war unless there has to be one. Understand?" 

They had gone through something like this before. They knew where to go for their places. Rick, Daryl, Glenn and Hershel were the only ones that hadn't moved yet, and Rick was saying something about talking to this man.

"We're going to negotiate something. We've got to. I'm not giving him the prison, this is our home now. But there's got to be some other way." The others agreed.

I felt slightly out of place. What was I supposed to do while all this was going down? Did they want me to go back to my cell? Because believe me, that was not happening any time soon.