Final Chapter

"Zayn? Zayn, wake up!"

Zayn slowly flutters his eyes open, groaning as he's blinded by the bright light that instantly invades his vision.

"Take longer.", he hears the familiar voice say sarcastically, and he looks around when his vision focuses and his eyes adjust to the light. He can see wires and machines all around him, a distant beeping noise in the background as he takes in the blue painted walls of the small room.

Once he's done observing the room, he looks for the person that the earlier voice belonged too. He knew who it was, but he couldn't believe it.

Sure enough, there sat the brunette at the end of his bed.

"Look who's finally awake."

"Jade?"

"In the flesh."

"B-but you're d-d-de-"

"Dead?", she asks, and Zayn nods his head, making Jade chuckle. "Yeah, I know. Wanna see the bullet hole? It's pretty cool-"

"Ew, no! That's disgusting!"

"I was joking, Malik. I'm not dead. I thought I was...until I woke up."

"Woke up?"

"The doctor will be in soon to explain everything, don't you worry.", Jade says, patting him on the head with a smile.

As if on que, the door to the room slides open, a man in a lab coat and another man in a suit walking into the room. The doctor does a quick check-up on Zayn, Jade watching from the bed next to his.

"Well, Mr. Malik, congratulations.", the man in the suit says when the doctor nods his way.

"W-what?"

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Simon Cowell, and I am the founder and creator of this camp. You, young man, have just finished your simulation, along with your friend over there." Simon nods his head over to Jade, and she makes a funny face at Zayn, making him smile for the first time since he woke up.

"Simulation?"

"Yes Zayn, your simulation. See, I've known that the government is planning to attack us for a very long time now, but I've just never known when. That's why I decided to take you all in small groups, and put you through a simulation that would test if you were prepared for a situation like that. This may answer your question of why your fellow camp members have gone missing. They've gone missing because we've put them through the simulation, and now they're in this facility instead of the old one."

"When did the simulation actually start?", Zayn asked, being so confused right now as he helplessly tried to keep up.

"The morning you found out about your friend, Niall's, disappearance. See, since your group was one of the last, it seemed more realistic. But, the mission started when the doors locked and the intercom gave you the message that there was an invasion."

"I'm so lost.", Zayn mutters, and Simon laughs.

"Then I'll tell you everything.", he says, and Zayn nods, eager to find out the truth. "As I said before, I decided to make you all go through a simulation in order to test if you are all prepared for that situation. We had different objectives set up throughout the simulations, to see if the groups would be able to work together and fight effectively. When someone dies, they wake up and end the simulation, and we get a set of test results based on their performance. I find it important to focus in three main areas, so I've decided to make groups of six in order to have two people from each group placed in one of the three at the end. In your group, you and Jade were the leaders, which is why they made you finish the simulation first, in order to see how your group worked without you. This is why you two have now been placed in the Leadership region of the facility. Two others will then be placed in Determination, then the last two will be placed in Support."